Options

GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL) and CC-BY-SA-all

scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited January 26, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Anyone know anything about licensing using thsee?

A photo of mine which I gave permission to be used, as long as I got photo credit turned up on Wiki without proper credit. It has since been corrected, but the folks at Wiki are suggesting that I license the pic using one or both ways mentioned in the subkject line.

Here's the pic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bret_Cox_L-39_-_Reno_Race_-58_.jpg

What is the good and bad of going down this road?

S.C.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    I see you have granted free usage license to anyone world wide for any purpose what so ever????..... it might be nice to get an image on WIKI but I would never grant a free usage rights like is shown on that link....that image should be worth something to you as the photog....I would edit that statement forthwith........That might lead people to belive that ALL of your images have the same usage license......

Maybe I am mis reading the statement...but.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Well, if you intend to grant anyone the right to do anything with your photo as long as they post a credit, that's one way to do it. Be careful, though, as people more often than not won't even bother with a credit.

That said, you might want to rethink this strategy for all your other images. You never know what image might be worth five figures to somebody down the road.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I see you have granted free usage license to anyone world wide for any purpose what so ever????..... it might be nice to get an image on WIKI but I would never grant a free usage rights like is shown on that link....that image should be worth something to you as the photog....I would edit that statement forthwith........That might lead people to belive that ALL of your images have the same usage license......

Maybe I am mis reading the statement...but.................

I haven't even acted further on the Wiki thing yet. I'm still trying to figure it all out and make a decision.

S.C.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2011
    run_kmc wrote: »
    That said, you might want to rethink this strategy for all your other images. You never know what image might be worth five figures to somebody down the road.

Exactly what has entered my mind since coming across the pic up on Wiki.

Thanks for the comments. Time to start boning up on copyright stuff I guess. deal.gif
    S.C.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Anyone know anything about licensing using thsee?

A photo of mine which I gave permission to be used, as long as I got photo credit turned up on Wiki without proper credit. It has since been corrected, but the folks at Wiki are suggesting that I license the pic using one or both ways mentioned in the subkject line.

Here's the pic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bret_Cox_L-39_-_Reno_Race_-58_.jpg

What is the good and bad of going down this road?

S.C.

Hi Scott!

I am a regular contributor to Wikipedia with text and photos. Not too certain of the good and bad going down this road. I do know that there are copyrighted photos on Wikipedia, but they were copyrighted before being used. Most times you cannot use a photo that is copyrighted without then releasing it to the Public Domain. However there are some circumstances where a copyrighted photo is approved for use and copyright remains intact as granted. Photo's of celebrities for instance.
    I looked at the contrib page for the fella that posted your photo, and he hasn't posted before or since. I'd say right offhand, it was an honest mistake on his part as to the proper posting. I say this from personal experience navigating the posting and copyright rules on Wikipedia can be a bear. I basically post only photos I don't mind others using and so forth. I have to admit, Having a photo of the Albatros like you have there would give me pause. However I see this as a two sided coin, with a Shiny side up. I have had folks follow me/my photos from Wikipedia and send and e-mail/comment via Smugmug with Kudo's to my photo...and sometimes that is all we really want, some recognition. I will end this by saying you can certainly post photos, such as your Albatros there, but you can easily re-size them, so they are not so easy to make a big print from.
    If you need further help over on Wikipedia, let me know.

HTH,
    tom wise