I need some Canon advice

run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
edited January 27, 2011 in Cameras
I'm looking to pick up a Canon digital body as my primary camera later this year, and I'm looking to get a used body. My main use for this camera would be portraits. My main camera now is an Olympus E3, so I'm already used to tank like build quality, not great ISO performance, and a heavy camera. I'm also pretty used to weather sealing. I'm not usually out in bad weather with a camera, but it's nice to have. I can learn to live without it, however.

I'm considering the 5D, the 5D Mark II, and the 1Ds Mark II. Something that I am looking for would be a replaceable focusing screen, possibly something with a split image/microprism area.

Any ideas? Should I be looking at something else? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I should mention that ISO performance and autofocus speed are two things I'm not really concerned with.

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Really? Why Canon? I think you are a great candidate for the move to MF!mwink.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Thanks, Neil. :D

I'm thinking Canon because I have several Olympus OM and Zeiss lenses in Contax/Yashica mount that I'd really, really like to use on a digital camera. I use them on the Olympus digital, but it's weird to go back and forth between the film cameras and the crop factor on the Olympus.

But if everyone think a I should go Hasselblad digital, I'll see what I can do. :D

Kevin
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    Yeah, have an extra $30K?rolleyes1.gif

I'd recommend the 5D or 1Ds2; the 5D2 has a bigger screen, with live view, than the Mark I (no live view) and more res if you want. If you don't need that stuff then go for the Mark I. The 1Ds2 is built better, has resolution in between the other two (12mp, 16mp, and 21mp) and AMAZING AF (you said you didn't care, however, it's really nice to have in some situations). If it were me, I'd get the 1Ds2. But that's just based upon the camera itself; the cash you save with the 5D1 can go towards a 135L, 85L, 50L or other really nice portrait prime.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    I am happy with the 5D MkII as it full frame and high res, good for portrait.

Reasonable weather seal to stand for light rain, wet days and extreme low temperature. I got it survived with 600 pictures at -25 deg C one single charge of battery. Even the hard ice formed on the screen and filter, it still worked well. http://www.flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/sets/72157625828112954/
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
    edited January 26, 2011
    But guys, I got the impression from the OP that he didn't really want AF and high ISO... let alone VIDEO!eek7.gif He's heading in a completely different direction to Canon!

Maybe Holga?!thumb.gif Or Olga?!mwink.gif

Neil

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 26, 2011
    I do use my Canon 5D MKII mostly for portraiture and formals. I can vouch for the color rendition and the excellent results with large aperture primes in particular.

The 1Ds MKII does have better AF but the dynamic range of the 5D MKII is broader and that helps with portraiture. I do recommend using a flash or the ST-E2 transmitter with an AF assist light for best AF results especially indoors. The AF assist really does make the AF dramatically better in terms of speed and accuracy.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited January 26, 2011
    Thanks, everyone. I'm still torn. :D

Am I correct in thinking that there are no microprism or split image focusing screens for the 5DII? That could potentially be a deal breaker if such a screen is available for the 5D or the 1DsII.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    run_kmc wrote: »

Am I correct in thinking that there are no microprism or split image focusing screens for the 5DII? That could potentially be a deal breaker if such a screen is available for the 5D or the 1DsII.
    You can definitely get different screens for the 5D 2, but I don't know about a split-focus prism. Check Katz Eye?

I vote for a 5D 2 or a 1Ds 2. Actually the 1Ds 3 is getting kinda cheap too, I think it's dropping down to $3K or less even. Get THAT camera, and you'll be set for a while...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011

Like was said, Screens are available. And I was thinking I wanted one too soon after I got my 5DMK2 considering the MF lenses I use. But with live-view, I found no need.
    tom wise
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011

You can get screens for practically any Canon digital camera.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Big-180-Split-Focus-Screen-Canon-5D-Mark-II-camera-/300516756831?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f831cd5f

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-45-Split-Image-Focus-Screen-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-/170310526601?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item27a74c6689

I use the 45 degree split on my MK II. They aren't as good for low light but they are a HELL of a lot better than a standard screen for shallow apertures. Yes, I agree live view is a great tool but sometimes it isnt practical and having both options covers all bases (and can save a lot of juice)

*edit* Oh, and this helps greatly for low light with the new screen:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eyecup-Eye-Cup-Canon-EOS-Rebel-XS-XSi-XTi-XT-5D-1D-/280293953284?pt=Digital_Camera_Accessories&hash=item4142d24f04
    edited January 26, 2011
    Thanks again, everybody. Provided used prices don't change a whole lot over the next 6 months or so, I'm thinking I might start with the 5DII.

Thanks!
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Wait till the 1Ds5 and then get the 1Ds4 mwink.gif

No, seriously it's up to you: they each have their advantages. Since (I think) you get focusing screens for all of them, you just need to decide among great build and AF (1Ds2) high-res (5D2) or cheaper and light (5D1). Or Hassie ;~)
    edited January 26, 2011
    Or Hassie ;~)

Ah yes, you touch on the truth - I really think the OP is a closet MFist!thumb.gif

Neil

edited January 26, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    Ah yes, you touch on the truth - I really think the OP is a closet MFist!thumb.gif

Neil

You might be right. I'll just have to wait for a Canon 645 and a Sonnar L lens. :D
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Thanks again, everybody. Provided used prices don't change a whole lot over the next 6 months or so, I'm thinking I might start with the 5DII.

Thanks!

I think for portraits that might be the best option
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Portraits for sure the MKII. The resolution and DR really have the advantages.