Options

Canon 20D issues??

mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited September 24, 2005 in Cameras
I'm most keen to upgrade from my olympus c8080 to the Canon 20D but keep reading on different forums about mirror lock-up issues regardless of firmware installed. Has anyone here come across these issuse or any others or should i look to another camera of similar specs and price?

Please help as my head is spinning a little with all the pro's and cons, it seems like such a great camera but the cons also seem a little scarey!

Cheers in advance for any help
May I take your picture?

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited September 20, 2005
    mushy wrote:
    I'm most keen to upgrade from my olympus c8080 to the Canon 20D but keep reading on different forums about mirror lock-up issues regardless of firmware installed. Has anyone here come across these issuse or any others or should i look to another camera of similar specs and price?

Please help as my head is spinning a little with all the pro's and cons, it seems like such a great camera but the cons also seem a little scarey!

Cheers in advance for any help

The first week or so I had mine, there was one or two occassions I had to
    remove the battery to get things going again but with the latest firmware
    installed, it's all good.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    Mushy...i have had one for about 6 months/maybe 10 000 actuations & the only single hiccup was a '99' error to which i turned it off...removed the battery for 5 seconds & put it back & thats that.

Its just like turning the lights out when you were a kid...there really isnt anything under the bed but we can talk ourselves into it pretty quickly.

Gus
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    I had a lock-up once (first day). It has nothing to do with mirror-lock up however mwink.gif MLU is actually a very useful function :D
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    Red BaronRed Baron Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    My experience is the same as "Humungus" (although with half the actuations) in the one year I've owned it. The 20D is a great camera - no question about it.
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    As good a place as any to ask but what is mirror lock up? I thought it was a feature of some DSLR's. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    SnapHappy wrote:
    As good a place as any to ask but what is mirror lock up? I thought it was a feature of some DSLR's. headscratch.gif
    The mirror is locked upright when the shutter is activated so the vibration of it flipping up does not affect the shot.
  • Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    Khaos wrote:
    The mirror is locked upright when the shutter is activated so the vibration of it flipping up does not affect the shot.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. [hijack over]
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    I have a major issue, the second time it has happened. Whenever I put an external flash on the camera, the on camera flash will not come up again, at all.

I don't mean with the external flash on it, when I would not expect it up, I mean for months afterwards. I called Canon on it once and it popped up after talking to the guy. So I thought it was the non dedicated flash. I bought a dedicated flash, the Sigma, and it happened again. I am hesitant to call Canon for the same reason I am hesitant to call anyone, but I am afraid I am going to have to send it in. Bought it from BH last February, the 20D. For the time being I have been using no flash.

Does anyone have an easy solution?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    mushy wrote:
    I'm most keen to upgrade from my olympus c8080 to the Canon 20D but keep reading on different forums about mirror lock-up issues regardless

mirror lockup is not the same as "camera" lockup

mirror lockup (mlu) is a custom function you use when you want to ensure as sharp a pic as possible (e.g. when shooting tripodded) you'll enable mlu so that the mirror doesn't slap

camera lockup on the 20d occassionally happens. very rarely. it's no biggie, you simply remove the battery and reinsert it and you're back in business. it's a mystery, but it happens. no biggie, really.

a great camera.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    Although my Oly E-1 is built like a tank, the E-1's are also known to have the occasional camera lockup that requires removing the battery, waiting, reinserting and start shooting. So it doesn't sound like a brand/model specific issue. I wouldn't let it keep me from getting a camera I'd really want.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Yes, mine only locks up infrequently, however this flash thing, I just talked to Canon. They said I have to send it in, with about 2 wks or more turn around time.

I am a bit upset about this.

I think Dixie will be here this weekend so I will wait until after that.

ginger

A bit of info, there is the main battery and a backup battery. The backup battery is a small thing. Taking both out and waiting about a minute resets the whole camera. That was the "fix" the technician just had me try. On the camera lockup, with an error code, or whatever, I have only taken out the main battery. No big problem.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    I've had my 20D for 6 months and haven't run into any lock up problem. I really wouldn't worry about it.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    These camera's are really just mini computers designed to take photos. Thats all they are and they operate off software like any computer, add in moving parts..... Considering the amount of serious problems they have is relatively small, and the lockup issue is so simple, no real worries. Think of it this way. You Microsoft computer has problems how many times a week? Compare that to your camera. That said I'm hoping the 20D that is arriving for me on friday doesn't have any gremlins.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    Ginger, is your camera up to date on firmware?

In the digital world, many changes are introduced via firmware. And like I said earlier,
    since the last firmware upgrade, I haven't had any issues to speak of (pilot issues
    maybe but that's it).

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2005
    thanks all for the response to my initial camera doubts, i think you've all solved the problem of which camera to get... its the 20D for me now i just need a few more dollars for some nice lenses.
    May I take your picture?
  • Options
    Michael_HansenMichael_Hansen Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2005
    Glad to hear you all feel this way about the 20D...mine arrives tomorrow clap.gif
    "Your photography is a record of your living, for anyone who really sees."
    Paul Strand

http://www.michaelhansen.com
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2005
    I've had mine about 9 months and never a single issue!!!! I love it!
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2005
    Over a year and never a hiccup. You'll be happy you chose the 20D, because Good Guy's wear white (an inside dgrin joke :D )

Brad