Palouse Falls; Your Opinion Please??

rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
edited January 27, 2011 in Landscapes
I posted a few photos a couple of days ago of Palouse Falls. I worked on another photo last night and I am wondering which one you prefer. Thanks for any input.

Thanks, Ron

Photo already posted:
1165061130_vsG4m-XL.jpg

New One:
1168234590_6taWV-XL.jpg
"The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95

Comments

• hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    I think I like #1 slightly better. I find the composition slightly preferable. In #2 the waterfall is nearly centered and there are some distracting elements on the right. And I think I like the light better on the ridge in #1.
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Beautiful shots! Like Tom, I also prefer #1. In #2 I don't think the extra space added in the bottom right adds very much to the photo. I prefer the crop in #1 with the off-centered falls.

Stephanie
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    #1, better light and composition. I see a couple of brave souls ventured down the slide trail to the lower terrace. If you are fearful of exposure and heights, I recommend you pass on that experience.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I worked on #2 a bit last night. Not sure how I feel about it now. I don't think that the lower right corner is as distracting now.

Ron

1169216792_vfQCx-XL.jpg

Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I think I like the 2nd version of #2 that you just posted up the best. How was this shot? It has a bit of an HDR feel to it, but it does not appear to be overdone. I love how you were able to capture the mist coming up from the base of the falls. I am curious how you managed to get it to look so thick, or was it like that in reality?

Great capture, regardless!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif, the latest version you posted is pretty awesome. I notice the nice dynamic range, not the HDR!

This looks like a really cool place to visit but a very tricky place to shoot.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Thanks schmoo! I think that I like the last photo in this thread the best also.

Rhuarc, these are HDR photos, but I generally try to keep it very subtle. I really try to use it only to capture what my eyes saw. I think the thickness of the mist is because it is an HDR. Thanks!

Ron

• zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Yes that is the crop.
    Now take a look at your clone job. See the repetitive pattern of it.
    Go back and clone similar textures and colors from inside the photo and clone them into the area where it looks repetitive.
    Doesn't take much to break up the pattern, don't over do it, just a couple spots should do it.
    Love the photo.