Monitor calibration

cape codcape cod Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited January 29, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
Deceieded to purchase an Epson Printer for some fine art printing .. made all the usual checkoffs in Light Room .. paper profiles etc but have run into a reddish tinge to the prints .. Have never calibrated my monitor .. have always been happy with Smug [ I know this begs alot of ?'s ] .. need to find a solution ... don:rolleyes

Comments

• roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    I've been researching the same thing. I found a lot of existing information in the "Digital Darkroom Gear" section of this board.

Roak
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 26, 2011
    I moved this to the Digital Darkroom Gear, just like Roakey said.

Carry on. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    cape cod wrote: »
    Deceieded to purchase an Epson Printer for some fine art printing .. made all the usual checkoffs in Light Room .. paper profiles etc but have run into a reddish tinge to the prints .. Have never calibrated my monitor .. have always been happy with Smug [ I know this begs alot of ?'s ] .. need to find a solution ... donrolleyes1.gif

You can't soft proof in LR and without a calibrated monitor soft proofing wouldn't necessarily get you where you want to go.

What printer did you get? What settings are you using? Are you printing a color image or B&W? What color space are you using? What paper?

Can you post a link to the image? I and others can let you know if they see a red cast in the image. That will help determine if the issue is in the monitor / image processing or in the printing.

Sam
  • thatusernameistakenthatusernameistaken Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    cape cod wrote: »
    Deceieded to purchase an Epson Printer for some fine art printing .. made all the usual checkoffs in Light Room .. paper profiles etc but have run into a reddish tinge to the prints .. Have never calibrated my monitor .. have always been happy with Smug [ I know this begs alot of ?'s ] .. need to find a solution ... donrolleyes1.gif

This relates to a different printer and may not solve your problem but reading your post reminded me of my situation, maybe it will help.

I have a canon pixma pro 9500 and for a while I was having problems with a magenta cast on all the prints, I double checked the monitor calibration and did lots of test prints with various settings to try and correct it. It turned out to be nothing to do with calibration, when I finally thought to do a diagnostic test print from the printer driver it showed that one of the print heads was blocked.

I had to run the deep cleaning cycle 2 or 3 times to unblock the heads but now it works great. With hindsight I should have realized that what i was seeing on the prints was too bad to be just a calibration issue.

Anyway just an idea it won't do any harm to run a test print