My classmate, Jen

PrettyKittyPrettyKitty Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited January 26, 2011 in People
I recently enrolled in an intermediate digital photography class at my local Junior college. Our first lab assignment let us go out and shoot some portraits. Here's 2 pictures of one of my classmates, Jen. Any suggestions, comments or any critique is greatly appreciated!

Jen1_medium2.jpg

Jen2_medium2.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    These are lovely! Nice job with what looks to be reflected light in #1 and you've used the BG well. The angle from above is flattering for her.

Highlights in #2 are blown and I might have wanted to move around slight CCW to play with the leading lines slightly in the comp so they both led right to her head (instead of the brick wall stopping short and cutting through her head). Easy to say looking at it afterwards - that's the kind of detail I often forget to notice in the heat of posing and shooting!! It does get easier the more of it you do thumb.gif Nice location for shots, though, and her expression is lovely.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    lovely shots. nice loacations, angles, expresions, lighting, exposure, focus etc.

The 2nd shot need some PP love. The bricks are giving her face a color cast one one side though it is not too bad. The image overall is very "grainy" and I think has too much local contrast. Not really fitting for the the type of shot.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • PrettyKittyPrettyKitty Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    These are lovely! Nice job with what looks to be reflected light in #1 and you've used the BG well. The angle from above is flattering for her.

Highlights in #2 are blown and I might have wanted to move around slight CCW to play with the leading lines slightly in the comp so they both led right to her head (instead of the brick wall stopping short and cutting through her head). Easy to say looking at it afterwards - that's the kind of detail I often forget to notice in the heat of posing and shooting!! It does get easier the more of it you do thumb.gif Nice location for shots, though, and her expression is lovely.

Thanks! Yeah as part of the class, we have to shoot fully manual including manual focus! So I had a lot to think about all at the same time! The second photo was actually in the first set I took. I knew I wanted the lines to lead you to her but I guess I didn't try other angles. I'll have to try that next time. I'll admit I felt a little goofy asking another classmate to model for me...I'll get over that in time. :)

The first photo was near the last. I knew I wasn't happy with the first set so we moved over to a uniformly shaded area. I'm much happier with that one!
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    Very nice work. I especially like #1. I'm a big believer in manual settings. It gives you precise control all around. You may find like I did, that it's easier (at least for portrait work) than either aperture or shutter priority. Looks like you've got it down already. thumb.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album