Options

Which Photoshop should I start out with?

ZetZet Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited February 2, 2011 in Finishing School
Hi

I'm brand new here. So far I love it! I am learning so much already!

I've been taking pictures for many many years but have never used an editing program. I want to take my work to the next level. I want to start doing photography professionaly. Mostly portraits of infants, children and families. I want to be able to tweek the colors in my pictures, make the sky bluer, etc. I want to be able to remove facial blemishes and soften wrinkles. I want to be able to remove items like a light switch on a wall.

I started taking a Photoshop class yesterday. The teacher told us not to use Elements. When I was at Ritz Camera shop a few weeks ago and explained to the worker what I wanted to do with my pictures he said to just get Elements. I've also read that I should just get Lightroom.

So, which one should I start off with?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 26, 2011
    I would start with Elements. You'll get raw conversion, a simple organizing tool, and a good introduction to working with layers and pixel editing. After you have worked with it for a while, you'll know better whether LR or CS will meet your long-term needs best. If you are serious about professional photography you will probably want both.

Oh, and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif.
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    Wow, I've been struggling with this too.

I have recently seen the light, and started shooting nearly exclusively in RAW mode on my Canon. Canon's DPP works pretty well for a lot of stuff, but it can't apply anything locally -- everything has to be for the whole picture.

A long time ago I downloaded GIMPshop, because it's a free photoshop, -ish. I've started playing with that a little bit, but yikes.

I've been using Picasa for photo organization (can you tell I'm cheap?) and it's actually really good for that. Turns out, Google knows a thing or two about search, who knew?

So, to go to that next level, should I get Lightroom? Or maybe I should keep using Picasa for organization, and get a real photo program. Should I take a PS class, then buy the student version of CS5? Then again, maybe I'll only use 5% of Photoshop ever, so it's dumb to shell out all that cash for it. Should I just make due with GIMPshop and some online tutorials?
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    I agree with Richard
    The full PS program can be quite intimidating for someone just starting out. Elements is a scaled down version of the full program, and in it's latest version (9.0) you will get about 80-85% of the functionality of the full program. It will do pretty much all you'll ever need to do for quite some time.

I use Lightroom combined with Elements, and am able to do all the processing I need to do that way. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 28, 2011
    bbjones wrote: »
    So, to go to that next level, should I get Lightroom? Or maybe I should keep using Picasa for organization, and get a real photo program. Should I take a PS class, then buy the student version of CS5? Then again, maybe I'll only use 5% of Photoshop ever, so it's dumb to shell out all that cash for it. Should I just make due with GIMPshop and some online tutorials?

Lightroom is certainly a real photo program, and many people here use it exclusively for processing and organizing their pics. If you really need local adjustments, Lightroom offers a few but it doesn't begin to compare to the power of Photoshop. The important thing is that you have everything you need to realize your vision, not whether you are using 100% of the software's capabilities. The student prices for Adobe software are very attractive, so by all means take advantage of them if you qualify.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    bbjones wrote: »

If you buy Lightroom, it will be like getting the overall raw processing of DPP plus the local raw adjustments of Adobe Camera Raw plus the organization tools of Picasa, all together with some valuable extras thrown in. That would still leave an (eventual, not immediate) need for a pixel pusher app, so you could tack on GIMP, Photoshop Elements, or Photoshop at some point when the Lightroom local adjustments are not enough.

Also, a lot of beginners don't know that if you have Photoshop, it comes with Camera Raw and the Bridge organizer, and the features in those two together give you a rough equivalent of Lightroom. Almost as capable, definitely not as smooth, but if you're on a budget it's good to know.
  • Options
    ZetZet Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    So, I would be able to do what I want with just Elements? "I want to be able to tweek the colors in my pictures, make the sky bluer, etc. I want to be able to remove facial blemishes and soften wrinkles. I want to be able to remove items like a light switch on a wall."
  • Options
    wmmwmm Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    Yes, Elements is a great program and will introduce you to the world of digital photo editing in a way that will let you make a smooth transition to the full version of Photoshop if you end up needing it one day.

I have done weddings, sports work, children and family portrait work - all using Elements for about 4 years before moving on to CS5. There is no reason someone just getting into doing paid photography work would "need" full Photoshop over Elements.

It is great for exploring the creativity of editing, but in the bulk of the work you say you want to do, you will make your money with the shutter - not Photoshop.

Lots of luck!
  • Options
    racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    I see this in a different way, if you want to be a professional photographer, your going to want to learn how to fully use the full version of Photoshop. Sure, you might not need it starting out, but remember that in order to master it all, it will take time. Its going to take you more then a year to master it all if you work with it regularly, while reading books and watch training videos on it all.
    It is my opinion that you are better to start on it now rather then wait till the future. Of course many photographers never learn how to us the program to its full potential, and learning it all takes a hefty effort, so if you don't have the time, then Elements might be the better choice, but if you are dedicated, starting now might put you a step ahead of your competition down the road, as a professional photographer
    Todd - My Photos
  • Options
    jnsuffolkjnsuffolk Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    I started out with ps 7 and have tried a few of the elements. Don't like them now. Wouldn't use them at all after using the real thing.
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    Zet wrote: »
    Which Photoshop should I start out with?
    Lightroom - it's a no-brainer! nod.gif