run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
edited January 28, 2011 in People
Comments welcome!

1164483202_ZkQAg-L.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I am sure this is comepletely unconstructive, but he looks like I should know who he is :-)
    Canon Fan
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I am sure this is comepletely unconstructive, but he looks like I should know who he is :-)

He does have that look, doesn't he? You probably don't know him, though. :D
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I like this a lot. I think your technique is very quality, and would suggest getting some catchlights, and lowering the POV (he gives the impression of being tall and me that I am about to touch the ceiling!). I think this would also help the slight closing-eyes expression.

You have handled all the interesting detail in his face and hair excellently, and balanced his clothing and the BG very well, and would suggest the abrupt border between contrasting tones rising above his head might be softened/blended. Like the toning.

I am curious about the apparent two DOF sharpness areas - his coat lapel on CR and on his eyes?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 27, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    I like this a lot. I think your technique is very quality, and would suggest getting some catchlights, and lowering the POV (he gives the impression of being tall and me that I am about to touch the ceiling!). I think this would also help the slight closing-eyes expression.

You have handled all the interesting detail in his face and hair excellently, and balanced his clothing and the BG very well, and would suggest the abrupt border between contrasting tones rising above his head might be softened/blended. Like the toning.

I am curious about the apparent two DOF sharpness areas - his coat lapel on CR and on his eyes?

Neil

Thanks! I'll take another look at the area above his head. As for his lapel being in focus... huh. Didn't see that before. :D Must have been on the same plane as his eyes, I guess.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    run_kmc wrote: »
    Thanks! I'll take another look at the area above his head. As for his lapel being in focus... huh. Didn't see that before. :D Must have been on the same plane as his eyes, I guess.

I thought you had a TS up your sleeve! It's a cool effectclap.gif

I dunno about the strip above his head - I could live with it, and maybe adjusting it would have an undesirable look itself?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    There's something very "personal" about this portrait and his character.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    Looks a tad soft to me. You shot this at f2 so that might be the reason. But great picture nonetheless.
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    That's what fascinates me so much about portraits. One's expression can change from ordinary to compelling in a milisecond. Excellent!
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
    edited January 28, 2011
    Thanks, everyone!

Seneca, you must be used to Canon or Nikon lenses. Olympus users don't have to do silly things like stop down for sharpness. :D:D
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    run_kmc wrote: »
    Thanks, everyone!

Seneca, you must be used to Canon or Nikon lenses. Olympus users don't have to do silly things like stop down for sharpness. :D:D

Yes a canon shooter here. Never shot an Olympus in my life. It still is a good shoot. Good job.
    edited January 28, 2011
    Seneca wrote: »
    Yes a canon shooter here. Never shot an Olympus in my life. It still is a good shoot. Good job.

Thanks. I was just kidding. :D