Nikon D40X with a dead shutter

chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited January 29, 2011 in Cameras
My D40X bit the dust this afternoon. It was working fine and then just seized up and a error message came up saying there was a shutter problem. It's only about 3 years old. Ridiculously lame. Anyone else experience the same?

Comments

• r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    With cheap aftermarket batteries and aftermarket battery grips sometimes the power doesn't move the shutter correctly. Happened to me ONCE. I'll never go back to crappy batteries.

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    r3t1awr3yd wrote: »
    With cheap aftermarket batteries and aftermarket battery grips sometimes the power doesn't move the shutter correctly. Happened to me ONCE. I'll never go back to crappy batteries.

Everything is stock as it came in the original box. I was using a Nikon remote to trigger the shutter when it happened. Don't know if that could cause the problem.
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Everything is stock as it came in the original box. I was using a Nikon remote to trigger the shutter when it happened. Don't know if that could cause the problem.
    I don't think that's what caused the problem, it just sounds like you got un-lucky. It happens to all camera brands, trust me! Some cameras last for ever, some cameras die early. It's just what we put up with when we ask for affordable, mass-produced products like this.

On the bright side, it should only be a $100-$300 repair, if you're interested. Of course I guess that could be the signal that it's time to move on, given the resale value of that camera. You could buy a brand new one for $300-500 most likely...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    It's just what we put up with when we ask for affordable, mass-produced products like this.

It isn't just the overly mass-produced, the shutter on my DM56 died with just over 20,000 clicks.

Luckily it was cheaper to repair than replace mwink.gif
    Steve

Website
    edited January 27, 2011
    It's not a huge deal, I bought a new camera last year, but I still used the D40x regularly. I've heard that Nikon guaranteed at least 50,000 actuations on this particular model. Does anyone know if there's truth in that?
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I've heard that Nikon guaranteed at least 50,000 actuations on this particular model. Does anyone know if there's truth in that?

No camera manufacturer guarantees shutter actuation's. There are too many factors involved by the user and the use of the system to offer such a guarantee. What they will say is that the system has been tested for up to XXXXX cycles. In the real world that doesn't mean too much.

I have owned cameras that have lasted longer than their estimate and some that didn't even come close.
    Steve

Website
    edited January 27, 2011
    The very last breath of the D40X. It was a good run, although short lived.

1169811076_eMQG4-L-1.jpg
  • scarysharkfacescarysharkface Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    The very last breath of the D40X. It was a good run, although short lived.

1169811076_eMQG4-L-1.jpg

Nice photograph!
    Canon EOS 50D, Tamron 18-270mm and 10-24mm
    edited January 29, 2011
    Nice photograph!

Thanks! Unfortunately that would be the last photo my (fomerly) trusty D40X will take.