"Non-PP" challenge 48 question

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited October 2, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Some of the ideas I contemplate require multiple radically bracketed exposures of the same scene with the goal of combining their proper parts into the final image. Kinda like HDR but maybe with some more manual masking and merging.

Would this violate the "no extensive post processing" challenge 48 policy?:dunno

Thanks!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Some of the ideas I contemplate require multiple radically bracketed exposures of the same scene with the goal of combining their proper parts into the final image. Kinda like HDR but maybe with some more manual masking and merging.

Would this violate the "no extensive post processing" challenge 48 policy?ne_nau.gif

Thanks!

no it won't. the idea here is to cut out the use of photo filters, plugins, most actions, and cloning, heavy image manipulation.

things that mimic what one would do in the traditional (film world) process are fine: multiple exposures, dodging/burning, toning, etc...
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    On this cloning thing, the no PP and no cloning: what about sensor spots, a few other little white spots that don't belong anywhere? I don't even have a photo in mind, it has been a problem in the past, though. And many other things seem to be allowed.

just thought I would ask.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    On this cloning thing, the no PP and no cloning: what about sensor spots, a few other little white spots that don't belong anywhere? I don't even have a photo in mind, it has been a problem in the past, though. And many other things seem to be allowed.

just thought I would ask.

ginger

sensor spots are okay to clone/clean/fix but i'd rather see you clean your sensor lol3.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Kewl, thanks!
    andy wrote:
    no it won't. the idea here is to cut out the use of photo filters, plugins, most actions, and cloning, heavy image manipulation.

things that mimic what one would do in the traditional (film world) process are fine: multiple exposures, dodging/burning, toning, etc...
    Then I continue to contemplate:-)1drink.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited September 22, 2005
    andy wrote:

I'm psyched for a nonPP challenge.

Nik, just think of it as, if you can do it without a computer, it's game. I've been thinking of some maybe similar things using multi-flash / long exposure.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    What about the ordinary Dan Margulis workflow: color correction, sharpening. These are things that a publisher would do to your shot and you'd never even know it, except if he didn't it would look crummy.

I'd draw the line at cropping, cloning. But then I don't know if I'd really know where to draw the line. Ever been in a color darkroom? I mean a pro one. What can you do with PS that those guys couldn't do? Curves? Forget about it. Sharpening? That's an old darkroom technique.

Composting and cloning, well those really are hard without a computer.

And we all know what a crop is, even if it is a classic darkroom technique.
    If not now, when?
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    I'd be interested in a NO PP whatsoever challenge. So literaly NO editing, straight out of teh camera.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
    XO-Studios wrote:
    I'd be interested in a NO PP whatsoever challenge. So literaly NO editing, straight out of teh camera.

XO,

No RAW? If you allow ACR with CS2 you might as well allow all of PS.
    If not now, when?
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    XO-Studios wrote:

XO,
    As an exercise and learning experience this might be useful. The rules all seem fairly arbitrary though. What does straight out of the camera mean when the camera has lots of digital processing power built in? Saturation, contrast, sharpening set to zero? Image stabilization turned off? ne_nau.gif
  • XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins
    rutt wrote:
    Indeed, NO RAW, as bare bones as it gets. Off the card straight uploaded. If your camera has a strong internal setting (sharpening, saturation, etc.) so be it, but literary off the card uploaded.

Oh and on top of that to make it as close to an old fashioned mail in photocontest, no previews, or posts with what do you think of this, that and the other, just one post, to the thread, that stays there once posted. Lets imagine it is 1980 or so. People are using the current tool to the best of its ability, but it also creates complacency, and for a one time, old fashioned one 'mail' photocontest, I think it will be a lot of fun, and very challenging. It will make the 'contestants' think before they post.

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
    rutt wrote:

rolleyes1.gif RAW is allowed, of course. and so is ACR / CS2. my goodness - this is an *honor* system folks! basic exposure stuff (curves etc) color, sharpness, white balance all that... allowed

cloning, pasting, copying, merging other elements, all NOT allowed.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    andy wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif RAW is allowed, of course. and so is ACR / CS2. my goodness - this is an *honor* system folks! basic exposure stuff (curves etc) color, sharpness, white balance all that... allowed

cloning, pasting, copying, merging other elements, all NOT allowed.

I think they were talking about a hypothetical non-PP challenge.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think they were talking about a hypothetical non-PP challenge.

oh. well slap me silly :D sorry guys.
    Ted Williams said, "If you don't think too good, don't think too much." I suppose that's what was going on during my run this evening. A straight-out-of the camera challenge. That might be cool, eh, sort of an extra challenge. OK, well then, what about only point-and-shoots? Cell phone only and SMS'ed directly to the challnege. Had to come from the cell phone. Or wait a minute, what if we write a photoshop action before hand and we apply it to all the shots. We'd publish it before hand, but it could include some pretty serious curves and the like. Or wait a minute...

After a little thought, I think the cell phone picture challenge has possibilities, but none of the others.

Could be sort of an alt-challnege. Prize: you cell phone picture printed huge by yours truly. Scary, eh?
    If not now, when?
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2005
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    As an exercise and learning experience this might be useful. The rules all seem fairly arbitrary though. What does straight out of the camera mean when the camera has lots of digital processing power built in? Saturation, contrast, sharpening set to zero? Image stabilization turned off? ne_nau.gif
    This could be very educational and fun. But I think that whatever your camera supports is fair game. With a film camera, you have a choice of what film and filters to use. I think the idea here is to use the camera to help create the shot, not the computer. Many of us dial our camera settings to their lowest so we can do all the processing in the computer where we have more control. Here, the idea is to see what the photog can do with their equipment. Since we all have different equipment we can't impose a specific lens or the such. Instead, we must know our equipment and it's capabilities and shoot accordingly.

I'm game,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• eye-maxeye-max Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2005
    my 2 cents
    I find this debate amusing. You people amaze me. We have all embraced the digital technology. We spend considerable time, effort & expense collecting and learning to use the wealth of software c/w plug-ins, hardware, etc. The list is endless, (just ask my wife). To have a digital contest where you can’t use 95% of the available technology, which is already acceptable in most venues is odd.

You appear to be saying that an image with minimal pp can’t compete with an image that has significant pp. If so, why don’t you think that it can? When it comes down to a vote of popularity to choose a winner I don’t think it should matter about the amount of pp. The people will decide the winner based on personal tastes, feeling, etc. To say that it’s a “test of people’s talents at the time of capturing the image” is futile. There is a diverse group of digital cameras out there with a myriad of settings. There are even more shooting styles, from the minimal settings raw format shooter to the heavily filtered point & shoot.

Sorry if I offended anyone.icon10.gif
    max
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2005
    Eye-max,
    eye-max wrote:
    I find this debate amusing. You people amaze me. We have all embraced the digital technology. We spend considerable time, effort & expense collecting and learning to use the wealth of software c/w plug-ins, hardware, etc. The list is endless, (just ask my wife). To have a digital contest where you can’t use 95% of the available technology, which is already acceptable in most venues is odd.

You appear to be saying that an image with minimal pp can’t compete with an image that has significant pp. If so, why don’t you think that it can? When it comes down to a vote of popularity to choose a winner I don’t think it should matter about the amount of pp. The people will decide the winner based on personal tastes, feeling, etc. To say that it’s a “test of people’s talents at the time of capturing the image” is futile. There is a diverse group of digital cameras out there with a myriad of settings. There are even more shooting styles, from the minimal settings raw format shooter to the heavily filtered point & shoot.

Sorry if I offended anyone.icon10.gif

I think (and Andy confirmed) non-PP only means you don't merge multiple shots, don't add heavy drawings and don't go crazy with curves, i.e. mostly concentrate on the composition and subject rather than on PS/PSP's bells and whistles. I personally find it fair, especially after STF challenges, where "fantasy ppl" IMHO go overboard with computer-aided graphics.
    I agree, it's all art, but it's different art, and as such it cannot be judged the same way. Hence - some restrictions, very mild ones I'd say..

Just my 0.000002 of f/stop
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2005
    How about Noise Ninja.
    Is that allowed?

Or maybe put like this, If I can sharpen the pic some, can I blur it also?
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.