Confuse about software

joeinmiamijoeinmiami Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited January 29, 2011 in Finishing School
I use Elements 8 for my photo finishing work. Lately I have seem advertisements and threads talking about Adobe Ligthroom. Can someone tell me the difference purposes between Adobe Elements and Adobe ligthroom?

Thanks

Joe :scratch
www.jlm-photos.com

Comments

• run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    A fundamental difference is that Lightroom is for organizing and making bulk edits to photos, whereas Photoshop and Elements are for editing single photos. Lightroom is also excellent for editing photos, but not on the pixel level like Elements or full Photoshop.

The best way to figure out the differences is to try Lightroom: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/

Personally, I use Lightroom for everything.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 28, 2011
    I agree.

I think for beginners who have no experience with Photoshop, that Lightroom is much easier to use and learn. One does not need to learn ( or even be aware of ) CMYK or LAB, nor does one need to use Layers. The downside of Lightroom, is that is does not provide access to Layers, and color spaces other than RGB of some sort.

I can use Lightroom for most of my images, and reserve PS use for those that require Smart Objects and Layers, or a pass through LAB or CMYK. If your work is so sophisticated that you need access to CMYK, you will not be reading this thread about image editing software.

If you are going to be swapping backgrounds, or local selective editing, then you will need software that supports Layers, and that includes Photoshop of some sort, or Gimp, or a few others.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2011
    At least one company is promising to break some form of layers to Lightroom: http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-layers/
    It will be interesting to see how this works out.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 29, 2011
    Sounds interesting doesn't it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin