Options

SOLD: Nikon 80-200 f2.8 AF-S

senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
edited April 14, 2011 in Nikon Land
SOLD! Thanks everyone.

I have a very nice copy of this lens for sale. This is the only version of the Nikon 80-200 series with a built in motor, so it will autofocus on all Nikon DSLR cameras. If you have a Nikon camera without a focus motor, a D40, D70 or D5000 for example, this lens will autofocus whereas none of the other versions of this lens will.

This lens is in nearly perfect shape. You have to look hard to find even normal use surface scratches on the exterior and the glass is pristine. No scratches, dust, fungus, etc. It comes with a padded cordura case (Nikon, CL-M2), a lens hood (Nikon HB-24), a tripod foot and both end caps.

I'm selling it to finance some prime MF Ai lenses so if you have any you'd like to trade I'd certainly discuss it. I'm most interested in a 20mm, and am keeping my eyes open for 105, 135 and 180 and 300mm as well.

There are two minor issues with it that I can think of. One, I scratch my initials into all my gear. Small, and in an inconspicuous place, but they are there. And one, the tripod foot isn't genuine Nikon and turns out to be for a different version of the lens. It's just a tad large so I have a layer of friction tape under it for fit. There's no problem with fit or security, I think it's perfect now, but the lens and foot stick to each other somewhat when the hold down screw is loosened so it takes a bit of time to remove it.

I'd like to get $1100 for it. If you can pay in a manner that doesn't involve a percentage fee, such as Paypal gift or knocking on my door with cash, I will pay for shipping. Otherwise, it's on your dime.

Some photos.
1170574394_Spd3e-M.jpg

Random shot from today. 145mm @5.6 SOOC
1170573425_UtkvN-M.jpg

And a 100% crop of the same photo.
1170573453_XeoMY-M.jpg

Focus check. 175mm @3.5. Book was angled 45 degrees, shot at ~10', focus was on the first P in photographers

1170572907_9BpWN-M.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Jay

Comments

• Options
    edited February 5, 2011
    Price Lowered to $950
    I thought this was a very good deal at the original price. At this price it makes me want to buy it myself,:D, but I'm itching to get more mf lenses. Doesn't anyone have a 20mm f3.5 ai they want to trade?
    Jay
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2011
    Could someone please help me figure out how to edit the title of my thread? I know it can be done because I see for sale ads with the word SOLD added, and wtb ads changed to 'found', but when I added 'reduced to $950' to the original title of this thread it only changed the title of the post, not the thread. What am I doing wrong?
    Jay
  • Options
    MarkOMarkO Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    I think you have to send a PM to DoctorIt to change something in the title, he's the moderator of the buy/sell forum: http://www.dgrin.com/member.php?u=164

Mark
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 6, 2011
    senorjax wrote: »
    ....What am I doing wrong?
    Nothing, you're just not reading our forum guidelines blbl.gif

I typically do not leave prices in titles for exactly this reason, I'd be changing them all day everyday. Best to keep it updated in the body of the first post.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 15, 2011
    Price reduced again. Down to $925 now. I have an event this Friday that I'd like to use it for so if you're a little slow pulling the trigger and need a few days to think about it this may be perfect for you. If you buy it today I'll have it in the mail tomorrow though, no problem.
    Jay
  • Options
    pointrpointr Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    PM sent on possible trades, etc...
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2011
    Here's a couple fresth photos taken with the lens today.

1192345961_ErZ4H-L.jpg

1192346081_gbNwJ-L.jpg
    Jay
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2011
    I can't believe you haven't sold this lens yet. These things are superb lenses. I looked at upgrading twice, and both times came back to my 80-200 AFS. Someone needs to snatch this thing up.
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2011
    I'm actually feeling kind of lucky because the longer it goes without selling, the more likely I'll be able to hold onto it. I'm trying to fund my new lens wish list another way and I'm getting closer.
    Jay
  • Options
    FoquesFoques Registered Users Posts: 1,951 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    this is NOT an ED version, right?
    Arseny - the too honest guy.
    My Site
    My Facebook
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    Yes, this is an ED version. I was under the impression that all the AF-S models were ED, which is why i didn't specify it in the ad. I just did a quick search and i still believe this to be the case. By the way, I have a possible trade in the works.
    Jay
  • Options
    jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2011
    I own one of these and it is an amazing lens. The reason you haven't sold it is because you have your initials carved into it, you only have 100+ posts and you haven't shown any other angles or pics of the glass. Any one of those issues wouldn't matter much by itself, but the combination of the three, IMO, is why you haven't sold this yet. If the glass is clean and the AF-S works perfectly, then this is an amazing value, even with your initials carved into it.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    jpc, You could have some valid points I guess, but I feel confident that I will sell it eventually (still trying to keep it though) and the seller will be extremely happy with it. I can provide numerous photos of the lens to anyone who expresses interest, to prove that it is indeed pristine, but I think the photos it takes are of more consequence. I have 100% feedback from years on the big auction site (redwoods20) and my initials on the lens are microscopic. They are in the photo, try and find them. I bet if I sold the lens without mentioning it the buyer would never realize they were there. Just trying to be thorough in the description.

That said, I am waiting to see how a possible trade I've been discussing works out before I offer it to anyone else. Thanks.
    Jay
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    Good luck. It's an awesome lens.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    Some quick and very dirty photos of the lens. Sale is in limbo for the time being.

1196606211_XASnV-M.jpg

1196606298_9Cnnn-M.jpg

1196606403_GtoLa-M.jpg

1196606493_kCwJ5-M.jpg

1196606606_VEaqY-M.jpg

1196606682_VUDoo-M.jpg

1196606751_ikxqx-M.jpg
    Jay
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2011
    Looks great. If I didn't already own one...
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2011
    The lens is once again available.
    Jay
  • Options
    Brian_SBrian_S Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2011
    pm sent
  • Options
    Farmer FredFarmer Fred Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    Why can't I be rich!

How does this lens compare (in AF speed, for one thing) with the 80-200 2.8D Nikon lens?
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2011
    Why can't I be rich!
    cause... rolleyes1.gif:D
    How does this lens compare (in AF speed, for one thing) with the 80-200 2.8D Nikon lens?
    It focus' noticeably faster than the 2 ring AF-D copy and less hunting. I have the AFS and have also shot the AF-D. Unless you're looking for a 70-200, or need the VR, I've found the AF-S copy can still get the shots.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2011
    Price Raised- $1100

So here's the deal; I'm an honest seller and I've got a lens in great condition, no issues at all, and 10,000 of you have looked at it in the last couple weeks but still nobody seems to want it. Over on FM a guy put up 3, yes 3, of the same lens one week ago. Says they belong to various family members. He wants 1100, 1050, and 900 for them. From the descriptions, mine is the equivalent of the nicest one, maybe better. Someone responding to the ad says basically, "This is a good deal, I just paid $1300 from KEH recently for one". And in less than a week 2 of his are sold, only the cheapest one with the most issues remains. So, if mine is just going to sit around and not sell anyway I'm going to give it a little of it's self respect back and value it at or near what it's brothers are worth. $1100. $1200 if you want to haggle.

I think it's feeling a little better already.
    Jay
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    So, you go from 925 to 1100... and since you (maybe) had only nibbles at lower prices you expect that if you raise the price, then someone will want it? I just don't get that mentality. Are you sure you want to sell it? Can you please explain?

(BTW, I don't think the "Jones" live @ DGRIN...
    maybe @ FM, but not here.
    )
  • Options
    barefootebarefoote Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2011
    I'm the one over on FM selling 3 of these, so I thought I'd voice my opinion...

People tend to care about things other than the condition of the glass, most specifically the original accessories, box, and paperwork.

The copy that you are selling does not come with the original hood (HB-17), original collar, the CL-73 case, or the box. I would rate your lens in equal condition to the one that I posted at $1100...HOWEVER, mine came with the original hood (HB-17) which is impossible to find and goes for over $100 alone when on eBay. It also has the original collar, case, and box. All of those alone tack on at least $100-150 to the value of the lens. Also, the your initials take away from the value as well.

I think your past price was much more fair, and who's to say that I even sold all of my lenses for my full asking price???

I agree with Seymore and think you should reconsider your logic in raising the price. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get things sold.

Best of luck with the sale!
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2011
    barefoote wrote: »
    I'm the one over on FM selling 3 of these, so I thought I'd voice my opinion...

People tend to care about things other than the condition of the glass, most specifically the original accessories, box, and paperwork.

The copy that you are selling does not come with the original hood (HB-17), original collar, the CL-73 case, or the box. I would rate your lens in equal condition to the one that I posted at $1100...HOWEVER, mine came with the original hood (HB-17) which is impossible to find and goes for over $100 alone when on eBay. It also has the original collar, case, and box. All of those alone tack on at least $100-150 to the value of the lens. Also, the your initials take away from the value as well.

I think your past price was much more fair, and who's to say that I even sold all of my lenses for my full asking price???

I agree with Seymore and think you should reconsider your logic in raising the price. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices to get things sold.

Best of luck with the sale!

Any tricks to actually getting onto FM forums?
  • Options
    barefootebarefoote Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited March 3, 2011
    What do you mean by "getting onto"?
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2011
    Fred,

This is just off the top of my head so it's likely not 100% correct. Even when I do research something first it's often not 100% correct, so in that sense you're not losing much here. FM, fredmiranda.com, is a much larger photography site than DGrin and has many of the same wonderful resources. You can enter the site, sign up, post photos etc. for free. But, they also have a membership option, I think it's thirty something dollars a year. If you pay that you can post for sale ads (which is one thing you cannot do if you're not a paying member), it's easier to upload your photos, you get some photo storage space and the ability to custom frame the photos you post there. I think those are the main benefits of forking out a membership fee. You would also be helping Fred keep the site up and running, and it's a great site.
    Jay
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2011
    Thanks, and sorry for trashing up your for sale thread.

I am familiar with the site, but it seems it's impossible to sign up. A quick google indicates it's SOP for that site.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2011
    Hey look, price reduced $175. Down to $925. Again.
    Jay
  • Options
    WPDPBWPDPB Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 11, 2011
    PM Sent
  • Options
    WPDPBWPDPB Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 13, 2011
    WPDPB wrote: »
    PM Sent

I don't know hoow serious you are about selling your lens, but you could at least acknowledge that I tried to communicate with you.. tell me you read it, I'm crazy, make a counter offer or something. Just ignoring potential buyers probably won't get you very far... just my opinion.