Options

Another 20D Issue

MipikMipik Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited September 21, 2005 in Cameras
I've had an issue with file naming. I have my 20D set to take both RAW and JPG images. When I download the images to my laptop I notice that some files are named _MG_0001 and others are IMG_0001. Also, I have some RAW images but not all.

Any suggestions?

Canon 18-55mm
Canon 28-135mm
Canon 50mm, 1.8
Canon 70-200mm, 2.8
Tamron 200-500mm
Kenko Extension tubes
580EX Speedlite

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2005
    What is your download workflow?
    Mipik wrote:
    I've had an issue with file naming. I have my 20D set to take both RAW and JPG images. When I download the images to my laptop I notice that some files are named _MG_0001 and others are IMG_0001. Also, I have some RAW images but not all.

Any suggestions?
    Card reader? Cable (if yes - what s/w?). And, btw, what platfrom - mac or pc?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    Maybe color space selected? I know filenames are different when you select Adobe RGB versus sRGB color space. Is it possible that you have files where the selected color space was different?

Steve

PS: welcome to Dgrin :D
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ashbyashby Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    You know that you only get RAW when you have a "creative zone" selected, right? Program mode, Tv, Av, and M.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    Mipik wrote:

Any suggestions?

RTFM :D files prefaced with _MG_ are created when you've selected Adobe RGB as the color space. files prefaced IMG are created using sRGB color space.

hth,
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    ashby wrote:
    You know that you only get RAW when you have a "creative zone" selected, right? Program mode, Tv, Av, and M.
    And I was just wondering why the heck RAW files were missing from some of my shots from last Saturday. (I always shoot RAW + JPG) That explains it -- I had it set to "Sport" mode for a few of them. Thanks for answering a question of mine before I even posted it!
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    edited September 21, 2005
    photobug wrote:
    And I was just wondering why the heck RAW files were missing from some of my shots from last Saturday. (I always shoot RAW + JPG) That explains it -- I had it set to "Sport" mode for a few of them. Thanks for answering a question of mine before I even posted it!
    Hey...anything I can do to help out!!

Actually I try to stay out of the cookie cutter zones and use the creative zones. I don't have a film background so I'm trying to learn the fundamentals so I learn better doing than reading.

Thanks for all the responses. Actually I have some experimenting to do today. The camera store I bought my 20D gave a workshop last night and I posed the same question. I did find through a search online that being set to Adobe RGB as opposed to sRGB. I assume that IS a factor but when I asked my camera dealer the first question he asked was how do I download my images?

1) I was plugging my camera to my laptop and Photoshop Elements took over (I did NOT like this, tried to go with it but HATED not being in control of this). Camera dealer recommended highly that I not allow that. Last night I figured out how to stop that.

2) Apparently using a card reader is a much better way to download the images. Dealer mentioned also that cards can become corrupt but I don't think that is the case.

I'll do some testing today and post results later....thanks again.

M

Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 28-135mm
    Canon 50mm, 1.8
    Canon 70-200mm, 2.8
    Tamron 200-500mm
    Kenko Extension tubes
    580EX Speedlite

• Options
    Maybe color space selected? I know filenames are different when you select Adobe RGB versus sRGB color space. Is it possible that you have files where the selected color space was different?

Steve

PS: welcome to Dgrin :D
    Thanks for the welcome! Another note - my camera dealer mentioned that the sRGB color space is best for web use OR if you are sending your work to a printer (in some cases).

Adobe RGB is supposed to have a wider color gamet. Is this accurate?

Mipik

Canon 18-55mm
    Canon 28-135mm
    Canon 50mm, 1.8
    Canon 70-200mm, 2.8
    Tamron 200-500mm
    Kenko Extension tubes
    580EX Speedlite

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    color gamut, srgb - adobe rgb
    Mipik wrote:
    Thanks for the welcome! Another note - my camera dealer mentioned that the sRGB color space is best for web use OR if you are sending your work to a printer (in some cases).

Adobe RGB is supposed to have a wider color gamet. Is this accurate?

Mipik

mipic, please have a look here

cheers