Another Wet Saturday

torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
edited February 1, 2011 in Landscapes
The tail end of cyclone Wilma flowed over the upper North Island of New Zealand Friday night/Saturday morning, following from the tail end of another cyclone last weekend, causing widespread flooding.

Have wanted to get out to try my new Canon 60D, but taken advice to stay at home, so took these pictures from home:

Panorama of the Rangitaiki Plains at 9.30am in the morning:

[IMG][/img]1170854295_pk7CQ-S.jpg

Looking out to sea, bit hard to see at this size, but there are cows exiting the milking shed in the middle of the large flooded area.
[IMG][/img]1170854236_UqFSE-S.jpg

Was thinking to enter in the current Dgrin challenge - but picture begs Unique but as is the second weekend in a row, so should be Ordinary!?

Any comments be appreciated. Photos taken with a Canon 60D with the standard 18-55mm lens. (Only just purchased camera, yet to decide what lenses to upgrade to, will get to know the camera first).

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,240 moderator
    edited January 29, 2011
    I would love to see these but the size posted is way too small to view properly.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    Reposted using large image - hopefully better to view?

[IMG][/img]1170854295_pk7CQ-L.jpg

[IMG][/img]1170854236_UqFSE-L.jpg
  • senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    Thanks for the larger size, it's much easier on old eyes. I like the farmland and rolling hills in the foreground of the first one, but I also like the inclusion of the sea in the second. If you could find a composition that comprises both of those elements I think you might have a winner. Very nice as they are, though.
    Jay
  • torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Thanks for the comments - below is the second image, not cropped of the foreground:

[IMG][/img]1172430662_yQx4A-L.jpg

Have been tending to crop the trees out of my pictures, but do you think they do not distract, but add, to the landscape?
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    In this one I don't think the trees add much. The most interesting element here I think is the big rock in the distance. I like the second pic that you posted above!