Options

Skies

EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
edited February 15, 2011 in Technique
Hi All:
Got a question for anyone.. Wht type of poloriser to use when shooting clouds, Should i be using regular or is something out there to bring the cloud into a state of dark, dreary black with the alot of texture from the clouds
E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 29, 2011
    While a circular polarizing filer will darken skies at a 90 degree axis to the sun, most of the skies you are describing in images are the result of image processing with curves, or of multiple exposures, either pairs of skies and foregrounds, or HDR.

First you have to have a good. stormy sky, and then pull down the curve in the area of the sky like this one by selecting the sky in one of several ways. I usually use the Quick Select tool today. No polarizer for this multi frame pano. Polarizers tend to create issues with large panos.

614447509_JRhMP-XL.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    EddyEddy Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    wooow PAth thast excatly what i am looking for .. not to much not to little and you hit it right on...Sweetbowdown.gif
    E.J.W

Great understanding is broad and unhurried, Little understanding is cramped and busy" ..... Chuang Tsu
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2011
    Aw shucks!

I drove through that storm coming east out of Albuquerque, and it was a doozer - even the 18 wheelers pulled off the Interstate to wait it out, and the 18 wheelers never stop for anything. But they did that day!

• Options
    edited February 14, 2011
    Or you can shoot HDR style multi frame exposures and get skies like this from Wupatki National Monument after rendering the hdr and then tonemapping and curves.

632369790_fu3Nb-XL.jpg

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,875 moderator
    edited February 15, 2011
    Wonderful examples here Pathfinder. thumb.gifthumbclap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    Pathfinder,

Any chance you could point to a tutorial for what you did there? I have tried doing things like that, but I can never seem to get the tone mapping right.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2011
    I don't have a link I can send you to directly, much of my HDR stuff comes from reading Stuck in Customs, and "Practical HDR" by David Nightingale. Nightingale's book is one of the best I think - direct, clear, and easy to follow with outstanding images for examples.. He even loves graffiti painted alleys as much as I do, but his images are a lot better than mine.... This one is mine.

1188793356_BmUUy-XL.jpg

Here is another sky I shot as an HDR, it really seems to help capture the range of tones in stormy skies to shoot them in HDR

775130391_XPcCy-XL.jpg

I do use Photomatix for my hdr rendering and tonemapping, but my goal is pretty much a nice flat image with a wide range of tones, that I can then take to Photoshop to create the contrast and saturation qualities that I need for my final image. Tonemapping is not to create the image, but just get the tones into the 16 bit tiff that is going into Photoshop for final editing.