Options

October Roadtrip

Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
edited February 14, 2011 in Journeys
To much work and not enough time for photography. My last trip of any length was in October of last year.

After spending the night in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Post Falls</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">Idaho</st1:State></st1:place> I was up and out the door early. The first stop was along the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Coeur d'Alene</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">River</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> near the old mission at Cataldo.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>1171105374_nBh9z-L.jpg</o:p>

The mission was designed by father Ravalli and built by the Jesuit missionaries and over 300 native Catholics. It is claimed to be the oldest standing structure in the state of <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Idaho</st1:place></st1:State>. (picture from a previous trip)

1171129310_ZhacL-L.jpg

Back on I-90 and headed east again I travel thru the <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Silver</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Valley</st1:PlaceType> and over <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Lookout</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Pass.</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> The weather is still wet and I am hoping for some clearing, but it seems unlikely. I exit I-90 at the 12 mile road (<st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Old Mullan Rd.</st1:address></st1:Street>) I have been planning to visit the Camels hump lookout. As I wind my way up the dirt road the clouds continue to persist and seem more determined to close off my views.

1107589394_EBarR-L.jpg
A mile from the station and the gate is closed, and now I am in a cloud and the rain is torrential. I don’t feel much like packing up the trail only to see more rain and grey at the top, so back down the mountain I go. As I get lower in elevation I am able to capture some territorial views.<o:p></o:p>

1107600886_xzZbW-L.jpg

On the <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Old Mullan Rd</st1:address></st1:Street> I continue east towards St Regis where I hook back up with I-90 and head towards <st1:City w:st="on">Missoula</st1:City> but first I have to make a quick stop to capture this image because I like the way the clouds are laying in the mountains near <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Superior</st1:place></st1:City>.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>1107589640_THbLB-L.jpg</o:p>

Then back on the road to <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Missoula</st1:place></st1:City> for fuel and coffee. For coffee I have to go with Liquid Planet, my all time favorite coffee place. Then it’s back onto I-90 east for a quick run to exit 109 where I hook up with highway 200 heading east and north up the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Blackfoot</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">River</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>

A short distance up highway 200, as the sun starts to break through the clouds I take a left turn onto <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Johnsrud Park Rd.</st1:address></st1:Street> this follows the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Blackfoot</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">River</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> for several miles before returning to the highway. Along this road are several campgrounds, places to fish and photo opportunities.<o:p></o:p>

1169690612_SaybA-L.jpg

Returning to the highway I continue east and north through Ovando, Lincoln and over <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Rodgers</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Pass</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>, where the road leaves the mountains and forest and enters an area dominated by high plans, broken by tree lined streams<o:p></o:p>

1107788184_hQYEw-L.jpg

1107589932_9fpnJ-L.jpg

Near The Town of Simms the road swings more to the east and connects to I-15 where I pass through <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Great falls</st1:place></st1:City>. It is late afternoon as I hook up with 200 east again. <o:p></o:p>
Normally when I past through Great Falls I will take some time to visit the Charlie Russell Museum, (well worth the time) but it’s late and I have to be in Lewistown for business in the morning. <o:p></o:p>
In the morning after my meeting I double back to highway 191 and head south through more ranch and wheat country where you can still find some of these old wooden silos spread throughout <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Montana</st1:place></st1:State>.

1169683744_NABoK-L.jpg

1169683929_BwdZg-L.jpg

As I continue south on 191, I pass through the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Judith</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Gap</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Basin</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>. Between Judith gap and Harlowton you pass through the Judith gap wind Farm with 90 wind turbines towering 262ft tall. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p>1107590286_yMtf9-L.jpg</o:p>
<o:p>1107840719_KVDM2-L.jpg</o:p>
<o:p></o:p>As I near Harlowton I jump off onto a side road to capture some fall colors, and a cloud veiled view of the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PlaceName w:st="on">Crazy</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType w:st="on">Mountains</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p>1169690477_aVHHb-L.jpg</o:p>

Back on 191 south I arrive in Harlowton,<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>1107840847_QbENA-L.jpg</o:p>

the county seat for Wheatland County Montana.

Continuing south I reach Big Timber and head east on I-90 for a short distance where I will stay with Avery, a long time friend and owner of Avery’s Paradise Artworks in Livingston Montana.

First I need to make take a short detour to see if I can capture this after the storm light, on these peaks in the <st1:place w:st="on">Absaroka Range</st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>1107600384_Rt2fy-L.jpg </o:p>

To be continued, <st1:place w:st="on">Yellowstone</st1:place> and the Tetons are on my route home.<o:p></o:p>
I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.

Comments

• Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    Very nicely done...enjoyed your narration too. Thanks for sharing some of your part of the world.

Looking forward to you next post.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Fantastic pictures - what an awesome road trip.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Wow - what a wonderful series. Excellent use of color and composition. Nicely done.
  • Options
    Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2011
    Thanks to those viewing and commenting. I hope to get the last leg of the trip posted in the very near future.
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.