Options

#69 Unique

MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
edited February 3, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Glass sculpture. "Flames."

I didn't know whether I would get the chance to shoot this and I think a little earlier in the evening would have been better, however, I love what I got!

5399504978_29b0942df7_z.jpg

Now to decide whether to use my Hammer Head for "Ordinary" or my Glass Flames for "Unique" :dunno

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

Comments

• Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Not only unique, but beautiful. Terrific comp on this.
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    Not only unique, but beautiful. Terrific comp on this.

15524779-Ti.gif The church in the background helps anchor this shot. Very nice.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Alison, you have an embarrassment of riches. Both the hammer and this one are excellent. Pick the one that speaks to you the most. Good luck!!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    Well, my heart's saying the flames but there were more comments on the hammer so I figured that was obviously the most popular choice with the people.
    I need some self confidence I think, and to have a bit more faith in myself!
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,278 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    They're both strong contenders! Either one is an excellent shot; but I think I prefer this one.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    Can't say for sure, but after watching a story on one of the network morning shows today, I think the artist that created this sculpture might be Dave Chihuly.

http://www.chihuly.com/home.aspx
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    Thank you Kate.

konomaniac - No. This glass blower is in the UK.

• Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    It does look like something Chiuly has done (spent some time googling him after seeing a PBS presentation), but then again those spirals have gotten more popular. This is an amazing sculpture, and an amazing shot. I love the lighting.

I'm not sure I like the church / lights on the horizon to the left, but then again, it might look strange with the dark sky and darker skyline without something to show what it is.
    edited February 3, 2011
    I really like the way you put this together - agree that the town lights are a bit bright, but the composition is neat. I agree that the hammer is a really nice photo, but this one grabs my eye - it's a great shot of a sweet piece of glass art, whomever the artist (could be a student/graduate of Chihuly's Pilchuck Glass School). That said, I would likely lean toward the unique over the ordinary in any situation!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/