5D or 50D?

Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
edited January 30, 2011 in Cameras
Im camera shopping and as I dont have one at the moment and Im on the hinge of a used 5D body or picking up the 50D, 50mm 1.8 and a battery grip package for about the same price. Agh!

I really wanted to go full frame to get the most out of my landscapes and seascapes but I dont know much about the 50D. Ive owned a 30D for about 2 years and have done all my work with it. Id love full frame but at the same time Im megapixel thirsty after having own a 30D :dunno

What do you all think?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 29, 2011
    Do you still have any of the lenses that you used on the 30D?

Do you have a budget that allows for the generally higher cost of the best lenses for the 5D (to get the maximum benefit of the 5D)?

Have you considered using multiple stitched overlapping images to gain the extra detail for large sized prints?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Bryans12vBryans12v Registered Users Posts: 362 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    I dont have any lenses anymore, they went with the 30D.

Im on a tight budget but can wait and buy lenses worth buying and will rent if I need a specific glass for a shoot. Making compsites from overlapping iamges is what I used to do with the 30D to gain detail using CS4 and has worked great.
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    Good Evening Bryan,
    I currently have the 5D along the 1DMK3, and had the 40D previously. I would buy the 5D kit if I had to choose. You can always pick up a good used Sigma 20/1.8 lens for around $375 or so to use for your landscape shots. Stopped down, it will produce excellent results on the 5D. Just my 2 cents worth mwink.gif Good luck thumb.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 29, 2011
    Bryans12v wrote: »
    I dont have any lenses anymore, they went with the 30D.

Im on a tight budget but can wait and buy lenses worth buying and will rent if I need a specific glass for a shoot. Making compsites from overlapping iamges is what I used to do with the 30D to gain detail using CS4 and has worked great.

It sounds like another APS-C/crop 1.6x camera and some nice lenses would do fine, unless you need instantaneous and single images.

I regularly produce very nice 30" x 20" prints from 8MPix so no modern camera is all that lacking. More important things are the lenses and careful attention to image content and exposure, lighting, etc. (I do appreciate all that the Canon 5D MKII and really nice lenses provide however. mwink.gif)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    I have a 40D, and there are a lot of comments around that the 50D images don't come up to it. I didn't and wouldn't get the 50D.

The 5D is certainly levels above either for portraits and scapes. It's also a good foundation for future gear building. It would be my recommendation.

As I'm sure you know, MP count is only significant depending on what your purposes-needs are. The 5DII is unbeaten in its class for portraits and scapes, and with Canon lenses to match, is the best camera available atm for those purposes - bar none! But it doesn't get there on the number of its MPs alone!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 29, 2011
    Thanks Jim, I think Im gonna go for what I originally wanted- a full frame camera.
    edited January 29, 2011
    Bryans12v wrote: »
    Thanks Jim, I think Im gonna go for what I originally wanted- a full frame camera.

Good Evening Bryan,
    You won't go wrong with a 5D. Ziggy stirred me in that direction last year, and I haven't looked back since. My MK3 is excellent for low light/high iso shots. Another recommendation by Ziggy, if you have the money & need for it thumb.gif
    Jim...
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    Do you NEED full frame?

Do you NEED good lenses?

Just something to think about. You'll have more money for good lenses if you go with a 50D.
    edited January 29, 2011
    How so? Im talking about the 5D Mk1. Used, they're going for about the same.

The guy with the 50D just called and told me he would sell me the 50D package for 750. Thats a 50D, Canon 50 1.8 and the battery grip.

I really need a camera, like now. I think Im gonna pull the trigger on it.
    edited January 29, 2011
    You'll have true wide angle pictures with a 5D, and you can even have ultra wide angle shots using the 10-22 EF-S lens as well. Ask me how mwink.gif Stopping down will give you excellent landscape pictures, regardless of the lens you use.
    Jim...
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    OK Jim, how? :D

That's a good deal for the 50D. The 5D body only will cost around 1K.
    edited January 30, 2011
    OK Jim, how? :D

That's a good deal for the 50D. The 5D body only will cost around 1K.
    Here is a link to how it can be done: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=120622 There are 'neater' ways to do it, but this method was the first one that I tried. Do remember that you CANNOT use the lens at 10mm, or it will HIT the mirror. I've posted pictures taken at 12mm and up. Yes, there is vignetting up to about 14mm, but the fov is incredible. Enjoy thumb.gif
    Jim...
    edited January 30, 2011
    [QUOTE=That's a good deal for the 50D. The 5D body only will cost around 1K.[/QUOTE]

It is a great deal! IMO and think APS-C with with 10mm should get me wide enough for what I need. I would pay 250 more for a used 5D body and have no lens or battery grip. Im going to jump on the 50, make some money with it, buy a lens or two and work my way into a 5D/mkII body.