Just Another Tunnel View Photo (Yosemite)

PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited January 30, 2011 in Landscapes
I've been struggling since June to develop this image, with every prior attempt to add contrast resulting in an image that looked crunchy and over-processed.

I recently purchased Michael Frye's Land & Light ebook from Craft & Vision, and finally learned how to harness the power of the tone curve in Lightroom 3. $5 well spent!!!

I've still got a lot to learn, so if anyone has any criticisms about the developing or composition I'd love to hear what you have to say. Thanks.

1172715740_Zi7rv-XL.jpg

Comments

• run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Can't go wrong with tunnel view! What month were you there?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 30, 2011
    Personally, I would have gone even further on the curve. Like this (if you object, I'll happily remove it.) Beauty shot, BTW!

1172167929_8EX8k-O.jpg
  • PilotBradPilotBrad Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    run_kmc wrote: »
    Can't go wrong with tunnel view! What month were you there?

This was taken during the first week of June 2010.
    kdog wrote: »
    Personally, I would have gone even further on the curve. Like this (if you object, I'll happily remove it.) Beauty shot, BTW!

No I don't mind at all... that's why I asked! thumb.gif I like it, thank you!
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    really lovely shot.
  • Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Kdog's right, go further with curve like he posted. It's a great shot and photoshop is there to help you make it better.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • senorjaxsenorjax Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Nice nice very nice! I'm going to go the other way and say that I favor your processing. I'm a sucker for the natural look and I think you absolutely nailed it. Makes me want to check out the guide you mentioned because it's often difficult for me to enhance a flat photo without losing definition. I don't use Lightroom though, would it be relevant to PS? Whatever you did to accomplish this I REALLY like it. On an unrelated note, I was at the same viewpoint a week earlier and the weather couldn't have been more different. I'll have to post one of my shots somewhere and point you to it.
    Jay
    edited January 30, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! Here's my latest edit nudging the curve just a tad more...

1170749099_SwGAX-XL-2.jpg
    edited January 30, 2011
    senorjax wrote: »
    Nice nice very nice! I'm going to go the other way and say that I favor your processing. I'm a sucker for the natural look and I think you absolutely nailed it. Makes me want to check out the guide you mentioned because it's often difficult for me to enhance a flat photo without losing definition. I don't use Lightroom though, would it be relevant to PS? Whatever you did to accomplish this I REALLY like it. On an unrelated note, I was at the same viewpoint a week earlier and the weather couldn't have been more different. I'll have to post one of my shots somewhere and point you to it.

Thanks! With a lot of information about the adjustment brush, "Land & Light" is definitely geared toward Lightroom, but the very useful content about the Tone Curve certainly applies to PS as well.

In case anyone is interested, here's a before and after screenshot from LR3. As you can see, the original was very flat and lifeless.

1172729834_Fre4R-XL.jpg
  • dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Love the AFTER! And thanks for the tip on the book.
    Duke
  • Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,467 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011