SCA soccer

paintmanpaintman Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited September 22, 2005 in Sports
This is my first post of one of my sports photos, coments appreciated.
Thanks
36832217-L.jpg

Here are more if you want to look.

http://paintman.smugmug.com/

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 21, 2005
    Ball, faces. Nice lighting. Only comment is on the background.

Nice work. Look forward to seeing some more.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 22, 2005
    I'm with Ian. Everything about this shot is top notch thumb.gifthumb.gif The only negative is that cart in the BG rolleyes1.gif Personally, since it can't be cloned out, I'd blur it during post processing. I don't know what you can do about the trash cans ne_nau.gif They have a lot of nerve placing them behind the net like that....Laughing.gif

Really crisp shot. It jumps off the monitor clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    paintman wrote:
    This is my first post of one of my sports photos, coments appreciated.
    Thanks
    36832217-L.jpg

Here are more if you want to look.

http://paintman.smugmug.com/
    hehe you guys are kind.
    I will start off saying I see alot of potential, the colors are rich, you are focusing tight on the action.

In addition to the background being busy...think of getting faces. There is alot of emotion in this shot, and one face is sideways the other is in the shadow and most of her body is cut off. What is the story that is being told by this photo?

This one is great, has faces, clean background, tight shot, great action with the ball.
    36831043-M.jpg

This one is pretty good too, but dont crop too tight. Cropping unfortunatly isnt a hard and fast rule, but you just cut off her toes......leave all the action in there, or crop way tight is how i feel but others may feel diffently.

13964403-M.jpg

For the most part people are not interested in backsides...unless it is for some reason, dramtic effect etc.
    like so: 25829607-M.jpg

Faces in sports are going to tell as much of the story as the action itself.
    14729628-M-1.jpg

Sometimes you will want to crop people out like in this one the guy kicking the ball wasnt as important (to me) as the face my friend Jason was making....so i left the left of the kicker in.....but cut out the rest.
    So now the focus is on my friends Jason reaction.36751681-M-1.jpg
    Ideally I wouldnt want that kind of background, but I have been regulated back to hte other side of the fence and no longer have the free moving ablity I had before.....so I dont get the chance to shoot down field....But sports like soccer and laxcross my favorite places to stand are at the corners, you gte the play action heading towards you so you get faces. Also with soccer I will shoot towards the middle maybe one quarter of the way up, so you can still get play action heading towards you (long way on the field, so if the background is garabage by using a low F you will have it blurred out) but also by moving closer to the middle of the field is wher you will get alot of the good header shots (lax I think most of my great shots came from the corners of the field, I will only shoot from the middle to get some face off action).

I hope my critism hasnt offened you, I wish people would tear my stuff up.
    I will say this, you arent not afriad to shoot close, which is good, you seem to have a good eye for action which is good, your colors and compostition with in the frames is good.

Just think faces, clean backgrounds, and sometimes not so tight on the play action and you will have some awesome photos.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    Laughing.gif Karen,

Of course we are "too kind" :D We want to motivate new sports shooters not crush them....Laughing.gif

Super pics and feedback BTW thumb.gif

Steve

BTW, we like you and appreciate your input too much to rip your pics. Plus, I'd think that you'd get enough "ripping" at SS.com ne_nau.gif Or are they softies like us too? lol3.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    Laughing.gif Karen,

Of course we are "too kind" :D We want to motivate new sports shooters not crush them....Laughing.gif

Super pics and feedback BTW thumb.gif

Steve

BTW, we like you and appreciate your input too much to rip your pics. Plus, I'd think that you'd get enough "ripping" at SS.com ne_nau.gif Or are they softies like us too? lol3.gif
    I usually dont post much on the message board as SS...still slightly intimidated (doctorit is going to laugh but he knows what a wuss I am) althought during the season last year I tried to update every week. I havent done that since may. So I should update with some current stuff.

SO rip my stuff up...please!!! I have never been a challange finalist...so my stuff cant be all that good.

When ever I comment I tried to do the same thing as I do when I train comment on both positives and negatives (its the same way I would like it) you need to know what you are doing right, so you keep doing it and you need to know what you are doing wrong so you can fix it.

Unfortunatly alot of photograhpy is open to opinion....so you have to know when to hold them, know when to fold them.