Options

#69 I'm a virgin DSS

PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
edited February 8, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
C&C gratefully accepted now that I've decided to throw caution to the wind and jump in. This may be wayyyyy too ordinary.

Glass Onion

1172004472_UsFxt-L.jpg
The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography

Comments

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Very nice! AND it fits the theme well.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    I like it thumb.gif
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    I like it too. Nice comp.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    I don't think anything can be "too ordinary" for this round. Love the processing on this....
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Nice comp and fitting of the theme...
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2011
    Thanks all. I'll see if I can come up with something a little more inspired.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    I can't believe you've not submitted before....Laughing.gif.

For me, I really, really like the processing but overall it doesn't do it for me.

**On another note, I was out on your site a few weeks ago, revisiting your In The Company of Strangers/100 Strangers project. Some terrific stuff in there. As well as your concert images. I plan to visit again to explore the other galleries as well.
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2011
    Froch wrote: »
    I can't believe you've not submitted before....Laughing.gif.

For me, I really, really like the processing but overall it doesn't do it for me.

**On another note, I was out on your site a few weeks ago, revisiting your In The Company of Strangers/100 Strangers project. Some terrific stuff in there. As well as your concert images. I plan to visit again to explore the other galleries as well.

Froch I REALLY appreciate your honest feedback. That's what I need to hear. It's not doing it for me either. Back to the creative drawing board.

Thanks for your kind comments about my other projects. :D

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Patti - I love the concept and my first thought was that it should be in color since it looks like a red onion to me. If it were my idea, I'd play with it - maybe include some of it diced or put it in a frying pan with olive oil drizzling into it - But if you are using red onion (and I may be wrong about that) I'd definitely go with the color.

I agree that the conversion is great though.

Va

Email
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    I've seen your street shots in the Street & PJ forum. Great stuff! clap.gif I think a street shot could work in this challenge for either unique or ordinary. But be forewarned, it will have to be really special. Street struggles a bit in the challenges.

I'm glad you have come to play with us! :D
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    Flyinggina wrote: »
    Patti - I love the concept and my first thought was that it should be in color since it looks like a red onion to me. If it were my idea, I'd play with it - maybe include some of it diced or put it in a frying pan with olive oil drizzling into it - But if you are using red onion (and I may be wrong about that) I'd definitely go with the color.

I agree that the conversion is great though.

Va

Thanks Virginia. Yes, I used red onions - the thought came to me as I was preparing a jalapeno pork roast. The contrast of the red and white skin made me think B&W. I'll mull it around some more. headscratch.gif

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I've seen your street shots in the Street & PJ forum. Great stuff! clap.gif I think a street shot could work in this challenge for either unique or ordinary. But be forewarned, it will have to be really special. Street struggles a bit in the challenges.

I'm glad you have come to play with us! :D

Thanks for the kind words. If I could submit previous beauty in the mundane shots I'd be happy but... deal.gif Not likely to get anything on the street worth this in the immediate future. Pickins have been thin in town here. ne_nau.gif I'll keep plugging along. Something will hopefully inspire me.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Really a DSS virgin?
    I swear I thought you participated before, maybe it's because you are always so good about commenting on entries.

Well it's about time then!

I like this Patti--simple and of course I like the B&w, but I'm curious to see what else you will bring to the table.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    Really a DSS virgin?
    I swear I thought you participated before, maybe it's because you are always so good about commenting on entries.

Well it's about time then!

I like this Patti--simple and of course I like the B&w, but I'm curious to see what else you will bring to the table.

Too totally intimidated to jump in Liz. The quality of so many entries (yours included) is so much higher than anything I could ever come up with. Commenting has been the easiest way to ease into actually participating.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    Patti wrote: »
    Too totally intimidated to jump in Liz. The quality of so many entries (yours included) is so much higher than anything I could ever come up with. Commenting has been the easiest way to ease into actually participating.

The quality has never stopped me. I guess I am a glutton for punishment. :D

Seriously, you should not be intimidated. I think you are going to push the rest of us to up our game. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Hi Patti, you must have one of those faces, cuz I do believe we have interacted before if not here, on another site, although I could be wrong, but anyhoooooo...Welcome. I have been on hiatus, but I think I'm back for a bit.

I like your shot, but the onions are making me cry lol....

IMO I believe what is lacking is texture detail, if the detail were more prominent, it would be much more interesting to me, I do like your framing of the subject. It is ordinary, but I don't know why, but it reminds me of flowers..Go Figure....

Peace,
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    ReenieReenie Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    Funny, I took nearly the same pic today as I was pulling out an onion for our pot of beans. I love it! Especially in B&W, that is what I did too.
    When you get the choice to sit it out or dance...I hope you dance. All4Him, Reenie
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2011
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    The quality has never stopped me. I guess I am a glutton for punishment. :D

Seriously, you should not be intimidated. I think you are going to push the rest of us to up our game. bowdown.gif

You have a lot more confidence in my skills than I do. mwink.gif
    Tentacion wrote: »
    Hi Patti, you must have one of those faces, cuz I do believe we have interacted before if not here, on another site, although I could be wrong, but anyhoooooo...Welcome. I have been on hiatus, but I think I'm back for a bit.

I like your shot, but the onions are making me cry lol....

IMO I believe what is lacking is texture detail, if the detail were more prominent, it would be much more interesting to me, I do like your framing of the subject. It is ordinary, but I don't know why, but it reminds me of flowers..Go Figure....

Peace,
    Donna P.

Thanks Donna. Lack of texture is certainly missing here.
    Reenie wrote: »
    Funny, I took nearly the same pic today as I was pulling out an onion for our pot of beans. I love it! Especially in B&W, that is what I did too.

What is it about onions?? :D

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    Tentacion wrote: »

IMO I believe what is lacking is texture detail....

Please take my comments with a grain of salt. I really like this shot, but can't put my finger on what I'd do differently. I read the others comments and I do agree that texture detail would improve it. I also agree that color (even highly desaturated) would be nice. And... maybe a tigher crop.

So... all that said. I still keep coming back and thinking there's a lot to like. This one's got my attention. Thanks!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    welcome Patti!

i totally get the being intimidated. i feel the same way all the time, but i've learned that this is really a great group of people who will always try to help you improve, and in many ways we really are learning from the best.

and now back to your image and my preceptions of it:
    the white space on the left is distracting, i feel like there should be something there, so i'm adding one more vote to the tighter crop option.
    the processing is very, very cool.
    one of the slices (the vertical one) looks almost like the core of a planet or the birth of a star, or something related to deep space, very cool! but it distracts from the message.

still, that's the coolest looking onion i've ever seen.

(i noticed i used the word 'cool' 3 times when talking about your shot. i think that's a record)

- Diana
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2011
    billseye wrote: »
    Please take my comments with a grain of salt. I really like this shot, but can't put my finger on what I'd do differently. I read the others comments and I do agree that texture detail would improve it. I also agree that color (even highly desaturated) would be nice. And... maybe a tigher crop.

So... all that said. I still keep coming back and thinking there's a lot to like. This one's got my attention. Thanks!
    welcome Patti!

i totally get the being intimidated. i feel the same way all the time, but i've learned that this is really a great group of people who will always try to help you improve, and in many ways we really are learning from the best.

and now back to your image and my preceptions of it:
    the white space on the left is distracting, i feel like there should be something there, so i'm adding one more vote to the tighter crop option.
    the processing is very, very cool.
    one of the slices (the vertical one) looks almost like the core of a planet or the birth of a star, or something related to deep space, very cool! but it distracts from the message.

still, that's the coolest looking onion i've ever seen.

(i noticed i used the word 'cool' 3 times when talking about your shot. i think that's a record)

Thanks guys. I've kept plugging along. See below

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2011
    Another attempt. Better? Worse?

1179352780_mmTkJ-XL.jpg

or a tighter crop on the onions shot

1172004472_UsFxt-XL-2.jpg

or the colour version

CRY BABY

1179362230_Gv9CK-XL.jpg

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2011
    I favor the onions. Not sure about B&W vs color.
  • Options
    oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    i saw that you entered the color version, good choice!

- Diana
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2011
    Thanks Whatshesaw & Diana. In the final analysis it was the only choice.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    thumb.gif The color version feels like it has more depth and texture to me. Great colors!!
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2011
    Thanks Donna. Well, at least I've gotten my feet wet. Hopefully I'll improve with subsequent challenges. It's certainly fun to see what folks come up with. So much talent on this site.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    Patti wrote: »
    Thanks Donna. Well, at least I've gotten my feet wet. Hopefully I'll improve with subsequent challenges. It's certainly fun to see what folks come up with. So much talent on this site.

Glad to see you entered clap.gifclap.
    I like the color version too, although the figs are just gorgeous also.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    I originally thought I'd like it better in b/w, but the color version really pops out at me! Nice shot - great textures & comp.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2011
    Glad to see you entered clap.gifclap.
    I like the color version too, although the figs are just gorgeous also.

Thanks Liz. I'm hoping to get better as time goes on. I like the figs but they don't do it for this challenge. Three gave their lives to my lunch today. Wish I'd had some Prosciutto to wrap around them. I LOVE fresh figs. don't see them around here and they're pretty pricey.
    lkbart wrote: »
    I originally thought I'd like it better in b/w, but the color version really pops out at me! Nice shot - great textures & comp.

I did too. I'm glad Virginia suggested going back to the colour for this.

patti hinton photography