Some Significant Race Cars Not Often Seen

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited February 3, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
This is a 1949 Alloy Bodied Jaguar XK120. A very limited production car. In 1949, this model car was the fastest production-based car in the world. This car was one of two shipped to Buenos Aires. It had a storied career racing throughout Argentina and the rest of South America.

This car has the most unusual iridescent Blue/silver paint job I've ever seen on a car.

1171499776_rGTAT-XL.jpg

A 1954 O.S.C.A. 1500 Maserati. This one was purpose-built for the grueling Mexico race. These cars featured rather small displacement engines, compared to contemporary race cars. They were referred to as " Giant Killers ". No less a driver than Sterling Moss drove an O.S.C.A. to victory at Sebring.

1171500031_URd3o-XL.jpg

A 1952 Jaguar XK 120 C. This is the first one delivered to the U.S. Phil Hill took it and raced to victory at Elkhart Lake....liking the car so much, he continued to race it the rest of the season. This car underwent a total restoration in 1986.

1172001398_62x3u-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• kithylinkithylin Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Nice shots, those are definitely some rare ones alright. :)
    Sony Alpha SLT-A35 16.5 MP DSLR
    Minolta AF Zoom 70-210 F/4.5-5.6
    Minolta AF Zoom 35-70 F/3.5-4.5
    Places I post my work DeviantArt & FLICKR
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Howdy Tom,

Oh My, I love the Color of that First One, it is stunning, and of course
    that Red One, almost seems like it would jump off the Screen.

Very nicely done once again!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    kithylin wrote: »
    Nice shots, those are definitely some rare ones alright. :)

Thanks for looking in.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Tom, it must be great to live at that time when these cars are actually burning rubbers and moving gracefully against all those chicanes. Thanks for sharing these images to us. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
    edited January 30, 2011
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

Oh My, I love the Color of that First One, it is stunning, and of course
    that Red One, almost seems like it would jump off the Screen.

Very nicely done once again!!!

Howdy Craig,

I appreciate the kind words.

Take care,

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Nice cars ... each different in their own way, but the last one looks like a winner to me. The leather buckle on the side won me over :D

This is going to sound dumb, but I need to ask ... do these cars have tops that can be put on? I notice there are no door handles on the outside. So I'm assuming they don't.

Showing my ignorance again rolleyes1.gif
  • CG806CG806 Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    The first one is my favorite. That blue-silver color really pops. But all three really look great. :D
    Jonathan

"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 31, 2011
    Awesome shots as always, Tom. I'll take the red one, please. :D
    edited January 31, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Tom, it must be great to live at that time when these cars are actually burning rubbers and moving gracefully against all those chicanes. Thanks for sharing these images to us. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

I do feel blessed that I can experience seeing and touching many of the greatest cars ever produced. I wish, Jiro, that more folks could share the thrill with me.

Take care,

Tom
    edited January 31, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Nice cars ... each different in their own way, but the last one looks like a winner to me. The leather buckle on the side won me over :D

This is going to sound dumb, but I need to ask ... do these cars have tops that can be put on? I notice there are no door handles on the outside. So I'm assuming they don't.

Showing my ignorance again rolleyes1.gif

" He who doesn't ask questions, remains ignorant. He who does, expands his horizons. " I just made that up myself. Sounds like it, doesn't it?:D

Well, you're right in your assumption. No tops for these jewels. Some of the Alloy Bodied Jags ( the blue/silver one ) were used as street cars and they would have had a top fitted. The race version did not. The other two were pure race cars.

Tom
    edited January 31, 2011
    CG806 wrote: »
    The first one is my favorite. That blue-silver color really pops. But all three really look great. :D

Thanks for your comments. That blue/silver paint on the Jag is the most striking color I've ever seen on any car, anywhere, anytime.

Tom
    edited January 31, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Awesome shots as always, Tom. I'll take the red one, please. :D

It's really great to hear from you, Joel. Thanks for the kind words.

I was speaking to the owner of the red O.S.C.A. Maserati. It was really interesting to hear about all the extra steps taken to make sure this car could survive the tormenting Mexican race. That race was held on open public roads and was notoriously tough on both cars and drivers. If you just finished the race, you considered yourself a winner. If the terrible roads didn't get you, then the little burro you couldn't avoid probably took you out of action.

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    " He who doesn't ask questions, remains ignorant. He who does, expands his horizons. " I just made that up myself. Sounds like it, doesn't it?:D

Well, you're right in your assumption. No tops for these jewels. Some of the Alloy Bodied Jags ( the blue/silver one ) were used as street cars and they would have had a top fitted. The race version did not. The other two were pure race cars.

Tom

Thanks for the info ... and I like your quote too :D
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    Great stuff, Tom! I always enjoy learning something new. Where do you get to see all these beauties?
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited February 1, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    Great stuff, Tom! I always enjoy learning something new. Where do you get to see all these beauties?

Hey Lauren,

The vast majority of car show shots I show on this forum are taken at the Amelia Island Concours. Amelia Island is a barrier island located just north of Jacksonville. The venue of the show ( a golf course located at a Ritz-Carlton hotel ) is just 45 minutes from my front door. I get to this show every year.

About every other year, I make it a point to attend the other two major shows in this country: Pebble Beach Concours on the Monterey Peninsula south of San Francisco; and The Meadow Brook show near Detroit. It will have a new name this year.

I will also catch some really big regional shows....mostly in FL and GA....when I can. It keeps me hopping but it's a big part of my life.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • woellerdwoellerd Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. True rolling works of art. You are a very lucky man, and though I'm not versed on auto history, you can officially count me jealous.
    Dave Woeller

My Galleries: DWPhotoworks

My Blog Page: DWPhotoworksblog

Become a fan: DWPhotoworksfan
    edited February 2, 2011
    woellerd wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. True rolling works of art. You are a very lucky man, and though I'm not versed on auto history, you can officially count me jealous.

It's great to hear from you, Dave.

As you well point out, it's not necessary to be steeped in auto history to appreciate the art these cars represent. Its true, knowing the mechanical aspects of a certain car....and the history of why certain features may be the way they are....can foster the appreciation of that car. But the beauty of a car's design can, and very often does, cross several disciplines of art and has universal appeal.

All of us who get to view these cars, either in person of through photos, are indeed lucky.

Take care,

Tom
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    I like that Jaguar .... Maybe I could afford a diecast model.... Some of those get into the thousands....

WELL DONE SERIES TOM......thumb.gif
    edited February 3, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    I like that Jaguar .... Maybe I could afford a die-cast model.... Some of those get into the thousands....

WELL DONE SERIES TOM......thumb.gif

Yo Gary,

Thanks for your support.

There's a guy here I know that's really into big-time model car collecting. Last month he bought a 1/6 scale model of a racing Ferrari. Grab a seat....that thing cost him $18,000. As you would imagine, it's no simple die-cast.

Take care,

Tom
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    More nice images of some fine automobiles!

Tom,

Try and procure the 1952 Jaguar XK 120 C, I'm partial to that one in particular.

You KNOW you want to thumb.gif
    Randy
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Thanks for the info, Tom. I knew you "liked cars" . . . but I guess that's an understatement! I've gone to a couple of local shows here just for fun. I'll have to send you a shot or two--some nice Model Ts. :D Look me up if you ever find a show here in TX!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com