Fitness Shoot P.P. Critique

Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
edited February 1, 2011 in People
I shot these two models at a gym here in Boise yesterday. I thought ya'll might weigh in on the overall feel of these and the P.P. . The pullups are shot with window light, all else is strobe lighting. Thanks Mucho.

1. Technique 1
1172137022_AF3Ju-L-1.jpg

2. Split tone technique.
1172137367_KKwhg-L-1.jpg

3. Tech 1.
1172140189_zQhhs-L-1.jpg

4. Split tone tech.
1172139192_FU2xU-L-1.jpg

5. Contrasty
1172135565_YdRyb-L-1.jpg

6. Contrastio Nastio!!
1172134971_jt8mE-L-1.jpg

Here is a link to the gallery: http://www.albert-dickson.com/Sports/Crossfit-Refinery

Comments

• sprirospriro Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited January 30, 2011
    The plain B&W are the better version IMHO.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    How funny - I totally prefer the split-tones! Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that... Great series either way thumb.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Looks like you had some fun and got to try out some things. I think you did a good job with the style...having said that...not really my style so won't critique much.
    Usually a good idea to not have your lighting equipment showing in the photo.
    I do like the split tone also.
    I think you were going for very contrasty lighting and you did that...having said that, to my eye these want a bit of ambient...higher iso maybe, but that is just me probably....just a touch/smidge of a fog effect would look cool with these I think.
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    Usually a good idea to not have your lighting equipment showing in the photo.

Mike, I must be off my rocker but where is lighting equip showing?

Thanks for all your input. I have to say there are some from this shoot that the split tone works better for me and others where a more traditional grey scale fits better.

My eye gets stuck in a rut and having all yours sure is helpful.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    There were a few in your gallery where the back light and stand that was shining on the wall was in the frame....or maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me...that certainly happens :).

Try looking at a couple with a "very" slight fog effect, the black and white ones.
    edited January 30, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    There were a few in your gallery where the back light and stand that was shining on the wall was in the frame....or maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me...that certainly happens :).

Try looking at a couple with a "very" slight fog effect, the black and white ones.

Ahh there is one in the gallery! Very keen eye. I was there and I missed it in that shot. Cloned it in a couple of others. Very dark with lots of hardware everywhere in the gym. I am impressed and a little bummed that you saw it. Cant' get anything past a Zoomer can ya?

I'll try the fog effect and get back to you. PS Filter?
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    All of them are very nice but #3 is a classic winner in my book.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    I like a lot of them. What I don't like is your B&W conversion. I think in too many of them, the shadows are way too deep. They lack all detail in large portions of the image. That may not be your conversion technique but the lighting. I also agree with Zoomer in that I feel they could use just a bit more ambient light. I am spending more time looking at the dark areas, trying make out what is there than looking at the subject of the photos. But that's me and my suggestions may take your photos in a completely different direction than what you intended.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    For me #6 jumps out!thumb.gif A very happy interplay of elements of tone/contrast, details/background, subject/ambiance. This visual language and the mood it generates is for me of way more value than any isolated technical nit or "applied" enhancement. Well done on that one!

You don't note your gear, and as before I really think the lens is critical in this series.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 30, 2011
    Great C&C somuch appreciated.
    What I don't like is your B&W conversion. I think in too many of them, the shadows are way too deep

I understand completely. I was pushing the contrast and clarity pretty hard to create definition in the tremendous muscle tone of my subjects. I was a bit drawn to the deep shadows and their play in the physique. I probably overdid it a good bit. Then again that was the point, sorta. I admit, I too am a little concerned about neg. exposure in some areas.
    For me #6 jumps out!thumb.gif A very happy interplay of elements of tone/contrast. You don't note your gear, and as before I really think the lens is critical in this series.

Thanks Neil. I am surprised you liked #6 over #5. I like them both but lean towards #5. Appreciate your insight. The gear, Nikon D300, Nikkor 24-70mm f:2.8, Alien Bee B800 with honeycomb grid as key light, HV285 strobes here and there.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Great C&C somuch appreciated.
    What I don't like is your B&W conversion. I think in too many of them, the shadows are way too deep

I understand completely. I was pushing the contrast and clarity pretty hard to create definition in the tremendous muscle tone of my subjects. I was a bit drawn to the deep shadows and their play in the physique. I probably overdid it a good bit. Then again that was the point, sorta. I admit, I too am a little concerned about neg. exposure in some areas.

I have a suggestion if you're willing to play around with a couple of your favorites. Create two curve adjustment layers. On one, take the center of the curve and pull it up, brightening the overall image. Now do the opposite to the other curve layer - pull it down in the center. Now invert the mask on both. Take a small soft brush, set the opacity to about 15% and the flow to about 70%, and paint the highlights and shadows alternating between the "bright" and "dark" curve layers. Basically, you'll be selectively dodging and burning the definition into the muscles. This will keep the overall image from getting to muddy.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited January 30, 2011
    [/Quote]I have a suggestion if you're willing to play around with a couple of your favorites. Create two curve adjustment layers. On one, take the center of the curve and pull it up, brightening the overall image. Now do the opposite to the other curve layer - pull it down in the center. Now invert the mask on both. Take a small soft brush, set the opacity to about 15% and the flow to about 70%, and paint the highlights and shadows alternating between the "bright" and "dark" curve layers. Basically, you'll be selectively dodging and burning the definition into the muscles. This will keep the overall image from getting to muddy.[/Quote]

Never heard of that one. Thats why I love this forum. I'll play with that one. Sounds interesting! Thanks.:):
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    #6 is jakuza, like a still out of Japanese film noire - very appealing! It's also more visually complex, more narrative.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 31, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    #6 is jakuza, like a still out of Japanese film noire - very appealing! It's also more visually complex, more narrative.

Neil

WOW!!! JAKUZA!!!! Thats my new style:D. I will pursue photographic JAKUZA. Thanks Neil. You made my daythumb.gif
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    I like all of the shots for various reasons but I would love to see #5 with the same processing as #6 there is just a look of determination in his face.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
    edited January 31, 2011
    JAKUZA Processing to #5
    Jakuza aplied to #5 per dbVeto's request. Still havn't tried the fog filter yet Mike.

#5 Jazuka'd
    1173887582_XSwL2-L.jpg

#6 Original Jazuka for reference:
    1172134971_jt8mE-L-1.jpg

All credits and rights to the term/name Jazuka and any related cerebral properties have been stollen from Zoomer, and will not be returned.thumb.gif
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Maybe I just don't have a good eye, but with what you were going for I really like the B&W conversion with the really deep blacks. I think it adds to the gritty feel.
    edited January 31, 2011
    Rhuarc wrote: »
    Maybe I just don't have a good eye, but with what you were going for I really like the B&W conversion with the really deep blacks. I think it adds to the gritty feel.

Right On! Gritty is the word I've used for this project from the begining. Glad you like it thanks.wings.gif
  • amoncuramoncur Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    A little too much contrast, in my opinion. If it were me I'd bring up the shadows quite a bit.
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    Jakuza aplied to #5 per dbVeto's request. Still havn't tried the fog filter yet Mike.

#5 Jazuka'd
    1173887582_XSwL2-L.jpg

#6 Original Jazuka for reference:
    1172134971_jt8mE-L-1.jpg

All credits and rights to the term/name Jazuka and any related cerebral properties have been stollen from Zoomer, and will not be returned.thumb.gif
    don't see any picturesheadscratch.gif
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU