Options

#69 Mutts

sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited February 6, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
1172516421_yhruC-M.jpg
or,
1172516224_pRYEx-M.jpg

Are they too dark on your monitor? The lighting in the stairwell was tricky, tricky, tricky. And then there's the question of the banister. Keep it or not? I can't decide if it leads the eye upwards or distracts from the subject. And I think that ditching the doorknob is a good thing, too. I still have quite a bit to learn about the ins and outs of composition.

Here's an original to give you an idea of what I'm working with....again, not great, but given the weather and kids with colds and just plain life, it's probably the best opportunity I'll have for this challenge.
1172516374_Nqfw8-M.jpg
Sure do appreciate you taking the time to stop by....

Comments

• Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    I like the high key effect of #2 and agree that losing the doorknob is a good idea. Some fill light in the foreground would be good as well.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    I agree! No. 2 for the same reasons. For some reason, I'd expect the banister if a person was coming down, but not needed for dogs. Cute shot!
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,198 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    I love the dogs' expressions in the second image. Yes, lose the banister & the doorknob. Yes, it does look a little flat/dark to me. Fill light would help that, but I think you have a great idea here. Did I say that I love the dogs' expressions?!

Sherry
  • Options
    edited January 30, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback! The lighting, I can work with it. Maybe I'll let it rest a few days and then look at it again with fresh eyeballs.

They are a funny group of dogs, aren't they? Very expressive with their faces. These are highly socialized family pets...dogs who have survived toddlers, cranky cats, changes of houses, etc. Two are part of my family and two belong to a family we visited this weekend....we think it's cool that both households have a shortish white dog and a tall red dog.
  • Options
    rbustraenrbustraen Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    I like the 2nd image the best as for some reason it looks like the dogs are all more in tune with the photo...
    - Randy

Photo Of The Day & My SmugMug Gallery
    Canon 7D and not enough L glass....
  • Options
    bbjonesbbjones Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    I like #2 also. The black patch on the 3rd dog's eye is awesome... Reminds me Li'l Rascals.

I gotta learn how to do high key. Very cool.
    The goal of my photography is is the effective, original communication of a feeling expressing truth, beauty, or love.

www.photographyjones.com
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    #2 for me. I like the expressions better.
  • Options
    billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif Number 2 works well. No banister, no doorknob. And... regarding bbjones' comment about the eye patch - you might try lightening up the black. The dog's eye is more visible in 2 than in 1, but it'd be cool if you could bing it out even more. Nice shot!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif Great idea - great dogs! The dogs expressions are definitely better in #2, but can't decide between the b/w or sepia toning.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    There is something about #1 that I like. Aside from the dog in the foreground with that wonderful expression and position, I personally like the grayscale tone of the image. It gives it a very nice quality.
  • Options
    konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Personally, I like the color shot. I'm not a big fan of high key shots, but I understand a lot of people like them. I do agree with losing the banister and doorknob.

If you do go with #2 (or 3 :D), you might want to make the back leg of "patch" disappear - it makes it look like there is a deformity in the lowest dog's front leg (especially in the high key shot).
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2011
    1175496650_rACVX-L.jpg

Think I got it! Thanks so much for the very good advice all around.......
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    I'm surprised you got em' all to look towards you, def the one with the last one. I liked the way you removed the door and rails. I would suggest 'dodging' the dog in the very front fore-ground, in-order to match the light tones of the other dogs behind him/her. :)