Capture NX2 Darker Than Anything Else

CG806CG806 Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited January 30, 2011 in Finishing School
I use Capture NX2, and the colors in my photos are different when viewed there as opposed to what they look like on SmugMug, or just viewing them in Internet Explorer from my hard drive.

Example here. I've opened this same file in both IE and Capture, on the same computer, and Capture is a little darker overall. IE agrees with what's displayed on SmugMug. So basically it appears Capture is the odd one out here.

Any ideas? I've got Capture set to use the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 color space, which from everything I've read should be closest to what SmugMug uses.
I'm just trying to get it to match what it will look like on SmugMug (and other websites/printing).
Jonathan

"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas

Comments

• malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Do you have a calibrated monitor?

Capture NX will apply any display calibration profile that has been configured in Windows, but Internet Explorer will not.

If you're already in sRGB, this is the only thing I can think of that will cause NX and IE to display drastically different colors.

Opening that image in some different color managed and non-color managed applications may reveal more info. Also try a different computer if that's a reasonably practical option.
  • CG806CG806 Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Good info, malch. That actually helped me a lot.

My machine is Win7, and I found I had to go into the Color Management portion of my Display settings. Then on the Devices tab, check the "Use my settings for this device" box, and then specify the same sRGB ICC profile I set in Capture as the default profile for my monitor.

Now everything is showing the same colors.
    Jonathan

"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas