Options

Proof delay & replacing photos

Mark29Mark29 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited February 8, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Is it not possible to upload small photos and set a proof delay? If I shoot an event and may not sell every shot, I don't see the point in taking up all the space and upload time for larger images. With 800x600 images, it doesn't seem possible to select larger than a 4x6 even though I have a proof delay set.

Thanks,
Mark

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    it's not. You must upload the minimum resolutions here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality
  • Options
    Mark29Mark29 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 30, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    it's not. You must upload the minimum resolutions here: http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality

Ok, thanks Andy!
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Please excuse me for jumping in here, I really don't mean to hijack a thread... but I routinely upload smaller files sizes and set the print delay to upload a full size image for orders. Now having said that, I want to ask if I really need to upload a full size image. Most of the orders placed for me are 4x6 and 5x7s with a few 8x10s sprinkled in here and there. I just went through the help pages from Andy's post and I think I am doing this right, but just have a few more questions, that might also help the OP. I shoot my images in JPEG large format in the camera (1DMK III ). Then I downsize the photos in the program I use for my event photo display, which the settings are jpeg, 1200 pixels on the long edge @ 72dpi. Now that allows my customers to select most of the images I want them to be able to select ( some of the merchandise items are not selectable...) but they can choose up to 8x10 with these settings. Now the real question I have now is, if someone is ordering a 4x6 or a 5x7, do I really need to upload a full size image? If I do not need to enhance, edit or change the photo for any reason, would there be any noticeable difference in the print if I let the small image go to the printer ( Bay Photo )? The file sizes are many times less than 100k. If I don't need to do these extra steps, it would sure save me alot of work and I could get the customer their prints sooner. Thanks and once again, sorry if I am hijacking a thread....