Uniqueka and the Hay Flats

coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
edited February 5, 2011 in People
In the Good Friday earthquake of 1964, a large chunk of the Matanuska-Susitna Valley dropped several feet, altering the water table and changing an enormous portion of the landscape from hayfields to marshlands. Devastating for the farmers at the time I'm sure, but today it's simply known locally as "The Flats" and is only a landmark we drive across between Anchorage and the Valley.

And with the history lesson behind us, here's a few photos from yesterday! :D

1: Uniqueka and a frozen creek. During the summer this creek rises and falls with the tide, but right now it's just a slight water hazard for snowmachines.
1171790847_cWN9b-L.jpg

2: Yep, she's Alaskan alright. Although she's not actually barefoot here, she was a couple minutes later!
1171789556_RYpnp-L.jpg

3: Moving on to the shot I had in mind beforehand, we headed out onto the flats and settled in on an angle of Pioneer Peak. Then I made her spin in circles till she started falling down. :D
1171796079_FALPh-L.jpg

4: It may be cold, but winter's more than half over, which just makes everything in life a bit brighter for Alaskans. That's the local cliche landmark Pioneer Peak in the background.
1171799362_zy87V-L.jpg

5: A bit of a panorama from five or six images.
1171812538_CY2Zo-XL.jpg

6: It sure is beautiful out here!
1171805969_jc4Bx-L.jpg

Happy with what we had so far and with our model slightly chilled, we packed it in and headed home. Hope you enjoy the results! :D We may get out again in the future sometime.
John Borland
www.morffed.com

Comments

• TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2011
    Neat shoot! I love #5, it's beautiful!
    Canon Fan
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Number 5 ROCKS! Great shots all around. Where do you park out there to access the flats?
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Really like 3, 4, and 5. thumb.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    3 & 4 ftw thumb.gif

Alaska has been on my list of "must see before I die" places for many years now (along with NZ, St Petersburg and the Norwegian Fjords) and these amazing shots you AK 'togs share just whet my appetite further. Golly you've got some serious gorgeous up there.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    I really like 6, now that's a portrait. Look at the energy and personality in that girl!
    Beautiful location, very nice photo.
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Awsome series. The girl is fantastic. Tough exposures in snow are dead on. The blue dress is perfect in the snow. Really great stuff.

On a side note, this looks exactly like an area here in Idaho about halfway between Boise and Sun Valley. Fairfield Idaho and the Camas Prarie. If I didn't know beeter I would have sworn you shot this there.
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Thanks for the comments everyone! We had a blast, cold feet and all. :D And yes, Alaska is definitely one of the most beautiful places I've found. It's a little cold for a little too long at times, but it pays off whenever you manage to get outdoors!

One thing I noticed though is my Sigma 70-300mm lens focused a little in front of her every time on the zoomed shots like #3 and #4. Just more evidence that you get what you pay for in glass I guess! ne_nau.gif
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    Would have liked 3 better if the bottom wasn't cut off at the feet but who cares when you have shots like 4, 5 & 6! :D
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    John these are so incredible! I love her smile and how much fun she's having. The stunning background and shocking cold (shocking to us southerners lol3.gif) is a perfect touch, too.

Your lighting looks flawless to my eyes, too. Did you use any fill flash for these?
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    John these are so incredible! I love her smile and how much fun she's having. The stunning background and shocking cold (shocking to us southerners lol3.gif) is a perfect touch, too.

Your lighting looks flawless to my eyes, too. Did you use any fill flash for these?

Yes, I had my lovely assistant Tracy getting her hands cold as well, holding and aiming my 550ex. :D Thanks for the compliment, I've been trying to get better at lighting (and everything else) but I attribute my success more to answered prayer than any skill of my own. thumb.gif I sure do love seeing and making great photos!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Aspecto5Aspecto5 Registered Users Posts: 311 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    #5 #5 #5!!!!
    Canon 7D Shooter

Nelson Lehner
    Dreamin' of a resolution!:D
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    Great work, John. I really love the palette. There's only two colors, really, and they look so nice together.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops