Options

Basketball - Anyone try intentional slow shutter speeds for effect?

MDalbyMDalby Registered Users Posts: 697 Major grins
edited February 11, 2011 in Sports
Have any of you tried any creative shutter speeds to blur the background?

"Shooting at 1/100 of a second or 1/80 of a second allows the player to be in focus and sharp but the background to be very blurry and creates a cool effect."

8 Tips for Taking Sports Photos Like a Pro

MD
Nikon D4, 400 2.8 AF-I, 70-200mm 2.8 VR II, 24-70 2.8
CBS Sports MaxPreps Shooter
http://DalbyPhoto.com

Comments

• Options
    dsloandsloan Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    MDalby wrote: »
    Have any of you tried any creative shutter speeds to blur the background?

"Shooting at 1/100 of a second or 1/80 of a second allows the player to be in focus and sharp but the background to be very blurry and creates a cool effect."

8 Tips for Taking Sports Photos Like a Pro

MD

for cars, definitely. for people, not so much.
    D300s : Nikkor 35 f/1.8 : Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 : Sigma 85 f/1.4
    won't you like me on facebook?
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Yeah, dunno about basketball. I mean, depends on how much of a difference there is between ambient and flash levels. I did this ALL THE TIME when I shot weddings. Easily shoot 1/20 at all times because I was shooting in a cave and flash would freeze the action anyway.. but sports, dunno.. really...
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2011
    hahahahahahaha. I'm sorry, I have to laugh at that article about "AVOIDING FLASH"

Really? Every NBA and Division 1 school has flashes in the rafters for the pro shooters. Avoid it my a$$. Tell that to SI or any other publication shooting a College or Pro game.

ETA- What he really should had said was AVOID ON CAMERA FLASH. Since even he mentions the rafter flashes.

And you could so something like the truck racing picture with Basketball.. However, you would need something like the TT1/TT5 from PocketWizard to do a rear curtain sync instead of front curtain. Front will create a trail in front of the player, rear will have any trail behind them. Normal pocketwizards don't do it... I'm pretty sure.. Never figured it out if they do...
  • Options
    codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    And you could so something like the truck racing picture with Basketball.. However, you would need something like the TT1/TT5 from PocketWizard to do a rear curtain sync instead of front curtain. Front will create a trail in front of the player, rear will have any trail behind them. Normal pocketwizards don't do it... I'm pretty sure.. Never figured it out if they do...

If you're using normal PWs, then it's a manual flash, right? Can't you just set the camera to 2nd curtain sync and have it pop the PWs at the right time? I don't think you need a setting on the PW itself for it.

As for deliberately slower shutter speeds for the "motion" effect, with cars it's great because you can pan the camera and the only thing on the car that gets blurry is the wheels (which is extra good). It works nicely for airplanes too, with the propellers. People on the other hand, change shape as they move (position of arms & legs relative to torso), so it works poorly.

967125554_CUaWB-L.jpg

--Ian
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2011
    codrus wrote: »
    If you're using normal PWs, then it's a manual flash, right? Can't you just set the camera to 2nd curtain sync and have it pop the PWs at the right time? I don't think you need a setting on the PW itself for it.

As for deliberately slower shutter speeds for the "motion" effect, with cars it's great because you can pan the camera and the only thing on the car that gets blurry is the wheels (which is extra good). It works nicely for airplanes too, with the propellers. People on the other hand, change shape as they move (position of arms & legs relative to torso), so it works poorly.

967125554_CUaWB-L.jpg

--Ian

Well, here in lies the problem. I used to shoot weddings. I tried that... And what would happen is flash on camera was set to "rear" and camera didn't have settings for it... So you would get 2 distinct pops. One front (pocketwizard) one rear (on camera) giving you nice ghosted images. :(

Now, Canon supposedly can do it on the 1D bodies but not anything lower, which is really a PITA. So I guess it all depends on what camera you have...
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Rear curtain flash maybe? Could be cool. You should give it a shot.