Options

LR3 "publish" service - any method besides "drag and drop"?

piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited March 15, 2011 in Finishing School
I use LR3.3 with Smugmug and have established a "publish" service successfully using the Smugmug plug in that came with the program.

I have used the service successfully but after creating a "collection" I would absolutely love to be able to "select all" and then "right click" or otherwise navigate to the correct Smugmug gallery (or create a new one) to publish to the web. The only way I can find to do this is to "drag and drop" multiple files onto a previously created Smugmug gallery.

Indeed Scott Kelby describes the feature using drag and drop terminology.
http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1664578

Someone please tell me that Adobe has provided a more direct and accurate method for uploading to Smugmug and similar services. While I understand why people like to use drag and drop, it shouldn't be the only method. My LR3 screen is already crowded with a tremendous amount of information, and dragging and dropping this many files, across many, many folders, collections, etc, is very clumsy.

Am I missing something ? Is there a more specific and direct was to navigate to the publish service upon selection of these files, rather than "dragging" them?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Not sure if this exactly answers your question, but after you create the gallery collection in the publish service, you should be able to set it as a target collection (right click gallery), then you can browse photos from anywhere (folders, other collections, etc) and just "Add to target (quick) collection", or the B key. If the photo is in the target collection it will have a little gray dot on it, if you have it set to show that view info on the thumbnails. I use Jeffery Friedl's publish service, and that's how I add to the smugmug galleries.

Brian
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    Curious, since I got the latest version of Adobe LR 3.3 in the update, it now comes with a built in plug in for SmugMug. I removed the Jeffrey Friedl plugin since I thought it was redundant. Today I suspected this might have had something to do with it, and indeed, after re-loading the JF plugin, I see this as an option upon right clicking at the Export command. Hard to believe they ommitted this in the official version. In the meantime, I will go ahead and donate to the JF version since apparently he is still more attentive to users needs than Adobe.

Seems silly to have two SmugMug plug ins, but as long as they don't interfere with each other, I'm ok with it.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2011
    Maybe this is a "bug" more appropriate for another forum topic? I believe that Smugmug develops the plug in, not Adobe so I guess it would be up to Smugmug to take a look at this.
  • Options
    DuncanDisorderlyDuncanDisorderly Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    I do all my uploading via the official LR3.3 SmugMug publish thing.
    And I use the Target Collection method detailed by Brian.
    They both work a treat!

What options do you get when you right click your SM galleries in LR ?
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    I do all my uploading via the official LR3.3 SmugMug publish thing.
    And I use the Target Collection method detailed by Brian.
    They both work a treat!

What options do you get when you right click your SM galleries in LR ?

I think the issue is that there are two plug ins for Smug Mug now. The original JF plug in which he still works on, and now one simply called SmugMug which comes with the LR3.3 out of the box so to speak. This is confusing since when you look at the plug in manager you see two distinctly different SmugMug plugins.

when you use the JF plugin, you get an integrated window that allows you to simultaneously create a Smugmug gallery and then upload to it. In the plug in that comes out of the box with LR3.3, you cannot do this from the plugin manager dialog screen in this manner, and have to drag and drop, OR transfer after 1)-creating the gallery in Smugmug 2)-creating a LR collection 3) setting such collection as a "target collection" and 4)then transferring

4 steps instead of essentially one or two. Keep up the great work JF!
  • Options
    freehockeyfreehockey Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited March 15, 2011
    Where can I find the JF plugin?