Scotland, January 2011

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited February 3, 2011 in Landscapes
Definitely feeling a little out of my depth in here (woweegazowee the shots!), but here goes...

All of these taken with the s95 except where noted :thumb

1 Duddingston Loch from Arthur's Seat
1163750187_fLQMX-XL.jpg

2 Towards the Lothian coast (7d + 50mm - wish I'd bracketed so I could have played with merging/HDR!)
1163750228_hJkhq-XL.jpg

3 Indulging my love affair with tilt-shift effect on Duddingston Church and Loch, as rendered by the s95's miniature mode
1163750294_Vh4Ds-L.jpg

4 Edinburgh skyline from Arthur's Seat in mediocre pre-dusk light (yup, a single, non-sticthed shot taken with the s95 - it's a deep crop. Sure, it needed some processing to make it work, but I still find it hard to believe something that small produced this shot.)
1166954839_i7pSb-XL.jpg

Comments

• rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Very nice divamum! The s95 is a great little camera and appears to have worked very well for you. I need to play with the miniature mode more. That is a cool picture!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    I love #4, such a beautiful pano. #3 is very cool too, I like the miniture effect with a tilt shift.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2011
    Thank you! I don't usually shoot much landscape stuff (more a people person), so it's nice to get some feedback. I was SO pleased with how the s95 performed - sure, a dSLR with a good lens is going to outperform it, but it was sooo easy to carry it around with me and I think it delivers amazing results for a camera that size, making it an exceptional model for traveling - that trip up Arthur's Seat (and some indoor portraits I did of a friend's kids) were the only times I pulled out the 7d on the whole trip. I must admit I'm partial to that first one - I love sunflare just because, and that was the only chance we got to do anything resembling hillwalking (which I used to do a lot of when I lived there and have MISSED) - I think I'm going to print it up on metallic paper and hang it where I can see it every day thumb.gif

The miniature effect is fun too! I really wanted to use the s95's HDR too, but I didn't get the chance to set it on a pod and try it (plus it was so WINDY that I think it would've blown away if I hadn't been holding it!). Next time :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    Madeleine, wow! You did great and I'm really amazed at how great the S95 is. I love your pano shots. Awesome and I'm so jealous of your trip thumb.gif
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    Very nice! Great job!clap.gif
    edited February 2, 2011
    Thanks! I'm going to get that first pano printed, I think (toying with metallic paper for it given all that sunflare). I don't usually print for myself, but I do love that shot and it really sums up all that was great about the trip thumb.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    You're really making that s95 work hard. Very nice. I really, really like the shot of the church!
    edited February 3, 2011
    wave.gif Yo, Scott!

Yeah, the s95 really does just about anything you throw at it. Can't "replace" a dSLR, but it makes a splendid do-it-all travel camera if you want to travel light

Duddingston is a sweet little village that you'd swear was in the middle of the rural countryside, but it's not much more than yards from the city centre. Ok, maybe as much as 2 miles, but if you consider that the pano of the skyline was taken just a couple of hundred yards from that vantage point, facing the other direction, it shows how close it really is. We got SO lucky with the weather that day - we arrived late so only caught the setting sun, but it was clear and glorious. Amazing for January.