Options

Pentax S-Mount and M42 - Same or different?

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited February 2, 2011 in Accessories
Hi All,

Quick Question...

Is a Pentax S-Mount (screw mount?) the same as M42?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    did not scroll thru for a comparison but this may help you: LENS MOUNT COMPARISONS ....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited February 1, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    did not scroll thru for a comparison but this may help you: LENS MOUNT COMPARISONS ....

That site's description of the M42 mount is pretty accurate but there are a few caveats:

Note how similar the M42 and "T" mount are. They are both 42mm threads, but different thread pitches. If you should happen to get a "T" mount lens, it will start to thread onto an M42 body, but it will quickly bind and, if forced, it can cross-thread and damage either the lens threads or the camera's lens mount (or an adapter, if that is your intent).

Some Mamiya (and I think some Yashica) lenses are technically M42 mount, but they have some appendages that can damage an M42 camera (or adapter).

The moral is to be very careful the first time you mount an unknown M42 lens. If it binds at all, research further to see if the lens truly will work for your application.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »

the website didn't mention Pentax S-mount, so I am assuming it is M42.

This is a useful website for my charity shop purchases, though, as some items I find are unknown to me.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    That site's description of the M42 mount is pretty accurate but there are a few caveats:

Note how similar the M42 and "T" mount are. They are both 42mm threads, but different thread pitches. If you should happen to get a "T" mount lens, it will start to thread onto an M42 body, but it will quickly bind and, if forced, it can cross-thread and damage either the lens threads or the camera's lens mount (or an adapter, if that is your intent).

Some Mamiya (and I think some Yashica) lenses are technically M42 mount, but they have some appendages that can damage an M42 camera (or adapter).

The moral is to be very careful the first time you mount an unknown M42 lens. If it binds at all, research further to see if the lens truly will work for your application.

For the bellows I was interested in, I would be going fully manual, so hopefully, if it screws on without binding, I'm good to go. I shall take care first try...hopefully I have got a bargain! If not, I may be able to change the bellows mount, or stick it back on FleaBay. :)

Thanks.