Bill, just plain Bill

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited September 21, 2005 in People
I didn't pay him anything, he did not want to be there, a tough week and his mother had died the day before. We have an "understanding", otherwise known as "marital rapport".

36882386-L.jpg

Notice, just for the purists, no frame, no "skin" holding that sucker together. But I was kind of confused when I was doing it. You know the saying "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing". In this case I used CMYK black channel, then used some RGB, wasn't happy, used some LAB, and some Y in the CMYK, not necessarily in that order. Thought I might be in trouble somewhere there, so I went to blk and white..........

This is for us poster fans, and this is so like Bill on a photo expedition, especially since he is working almost around the clock around the week:

36882399-L.jpg

That was all I could come up with tonight. Bill will be happy, he likes these photos of him.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• FrancoisFrancois Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2005
    I think the BW one is great Ginger...... no need for anything else!
    Francois A. Dumas
    Founder
    Silver Cloud Publishing
    fssupport.smugmug.com
  • luckydogluckydog Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    15524779-Ti.gif The framed B&W says it all.
    http://darrylluckphotography.smugmug.com

40D
    18-55mm, 28-105mm USM II, 50mm f/1.8, 400mm f/5.6
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    I really like the B&W one too.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    Hi Ginger,

The black and white photo with the frame is a very good portrait of Bill. I would just consideratioin adding a bit more of contrast .
    Michal
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    bw, thumb.gifthumb.gif also agree on a little more "punch." ginger, there's lots of bw tutes in our archives, check 'em out if you will....

the color shot, is off... look at bill's hair, there's cyan in his hair - not good.
    also, try to dodge his eyes a bit - try 20% opacity (highlights only) on a soft edged dodge brush, on a seprate layer. don't go overboard ... it's easy to make it look wonky - you want to just add some lightness to the whites.

it's a wonderful shot, captures a lot of charachter and feeling. re-work it, print it, bw or color.

cheers
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    Thanks, Andy. Yes, I knew that there was too much cyan (not right off, but by the time I went to bed, I knew about the cyan). After all, I had put the photo through PS hell. His lips look like he is dying, dead, or it is freezing, and it was sticky warm.

I just converted to blk and white. Andy, I used the same recipe for blk and white that you say you use: channel mixer w a bit of sel color blk. It was late, but I use that same recipe most of the time. Usually I start off with good color, though.

I will look at the other blk white tutorials. I have been doing a lot of blk and white lately, but that is unusual for me. I have noticed that many people do it differently. I tried your way once, it worked then, so I use it most of the time.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.