Options

Elements 7 and Raw Medium

JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited February 3, 2011 in Finishing School
I got my new 7D a month ago and my Elements 7 would not accept the raw files. I upgraded my Raw plug in and was good to go. Last night I shot a wrestling event and to save space on my card I shot raw medium for the first time. Tried to upload and again no go. Given that I allready upgraded the raw plug in I'm not sure what to do. Ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2011
    Change it to a DNG....and move on....other than that I have no idea.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited February 1, 2011
    DNG? Change them how, they are on the card and I cannot import them?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 2, 2011
    You can get the dng converter program from Adobe. This program is for Windows. This program is for Mac

I do not understand your issue, though, as I use LR3 or Adobe Camera Raw, (both current versions ) and the both import, open and edit standard full size RAW files from my 7D, as well as the smaller size RAW files as well, without any complaints or burps. Are you sure Elements 7 supports these file sizes as well also?

I would ask Adobe about this issue, as this forums primary purpose is discussing image processing.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Are you pulling the files directly into PSE7, or are you first using the Canon DPP transfer utility? You may have success by using the Canon process first. Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Yes, my normal work flow is to pull in Elements. So I used the Canon software to pull the shots off the card, changed them to jpg and got them up to my site on SmugMug. So at least they are up for the parents to purchase.

At Adobe I read something to the affect that the med and small are not really raw and that is why my ACR 5.5 does not recognize them. Also sounded like at Elements 8 or 9 they were recognized. Does not make sense to me as 5.5 was supposed to support my 7D.

I may have to do an upgrade, I guess.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Well, Adobe Camera Raw 4.0.4.2 shipped with CS5 and updated to the present date, will open and edit 7D files in sRAW, mRAW, and of course full sized Raw without any complaints whatsoever. I just did it with three new files from my 7D - sRAW, mRAW, and RAW. My operating system is OS 10.5.8

from sRAW - the text is the pixel size of the image 2048 x 3072 = 6.3 Mpxls
    1176561426_ob4cE-S.jpg

from mRAW - 2731 x 4096 = 11.2 Mpxls
    1176561596_pw9vN-S.jpg

from RAW - 3456 x 5184 = 17.9 Mpxls
    1176561773_uDxRb-S.jpg

• Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Interesting. Do they edit just like good old raw files? Do you notice any difference? One of the threads on the Adobe forum was saying that the med and small were some strange conversion thing done in camera. It does not make any sense to me. I had to upgrade to the Elements 7, ACR 5.5 for the new 7D. I get that, kinda, seems like a raw should be raw no matter what camera it comes out of but whatever. The med and small raw should not be a problem if the software covers the 7D. I have no problem with regular raw after I did the upgrade.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    I actually shoot mRAW when I know I won't need large prints, and sometimes with HDR since shooting 3-5 frames consumes a lot of space with multiple 18Mpxl Raw files. I don't know how the downsampling is done, but it is fast, and incamera. Many of my HDR files are going to have noise added in Photoshop, so having huge numbers of pixels really isn't that critical for some of my hdr images.

I edit almost all of my images in LR3, rather than ACR these days, but the RAW engine is the same, and I cannot see any difference between the files.

The three images I put up, I edited the sRAW, and then used the Synchronize button so that all three files sRAW, mRAW, and RAw were each edited exactly with identical settings in ACR. I brought them into CS5, added the typewritten data, and a bit of an S curve, and saved them as 8 bit sRGB jpgs.

The full size files are available here - http://pathfinder.smugmug.com/gallery/1789718_YdTAs#1176561426_ob4cE

Take a gander, and decide for yourself if they look different. All three shot in Manual mode, handheld, 1/400th, f8, ISO 100, with a Tamron 28-300 zoom lens, through a glass window.

I agree that it seems unfair that Elements will edit full size RAW files froma 7D, but not the smaller RAW files.. CS5 and LR3 certainly do.