WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
edited February 3, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Dog Sled Race

1172551329_aWXh7-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    These have to be the strangest sled dogs I have ever seen.

Are these the Haitian dog sled team?

Sam
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    These races are sprints, 4 to 8 miles, depending on the number of dogs in the team . The dogs are mixed breeds, German Short-Haired Pointers mixed with Huskies and even some Greyhounds mixed with Huskies. There's no Iditarod here in the Vermont. These are sprinters. They don't have to endure nights on the tundra or run weeks long endurance races. The sleds are mostly lightweight frames with runners and a brake. The mushers run behind the sled a good bit of the time, especially uphill. Out of a 1000 dogs there, very few were pure bred Huskies.

I should add that most of the pure bred Huskies we saw were spectator's dogs or were attached to the sled that was taking spectators for rides.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    8 miles is a sprint:D That is a cool shot....I'm a dog lover, thanks for sharing the photo......thumb.gif
    edited February 2, 2011
    The formula seems to be approximately 1 mile per dog, 4 dogs = 4+ miles, 6 dogs = 6+, 8 dogs = 8+ and there is a 13 mile open class course. They are actually called Dash Races. You can read more about them here. It's a pretty serious competition with 1000 dogs entered over two days (all of them barking continuously BTW) with entries from all over the colder northeastern States and Canada.
  • CG806CG806 Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    I like it, you definitely caught the energy of the event in your photo. Very nice!
    Jonathan

"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    What a wonderful photo. Dogs look like they're having so much fun.
    edited February 3, 2011
    Thanks Mary and Jonathan, The original title was going to be "More fun than chasing cats" but I was afraid I might antagonize the cat lovers.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    What a great action shot! I agree with Sam, they look like very strong dogs.