Options

Desert Lightning Storm

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited July 3, 2012 in Landscapes
So I ran out of my house tonight around 12:00am, and drove up a small mountain near my house and set my camera up. Lightning was discharging all around. Here are 4 of the best shots I got of it.

lightning014mw.jpg

lightning023vm.jpg

lightning033di.jpg

lightning043nq.jpg

I'll probably post more later tomorrow morning. But for now, tell me what you think. :)
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2005
    #3 is a ground strike clap.gif Beautiful mate...just beautiful.

A storm is about the only thing i will get up at that time of night also.

Gus
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    Humungus wrote:

Gus
    15524779-Ti.gif
    Just beautiful. There's something about lightning on a hot night that just does it for me.

The first and the 3rd are just stunning.clap.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    And the best bit is RM that our storm season is just starting.
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    Humungus wrote:
    And the best bit is RM that our storm season is just starting.
    nod.gif We have only had 1 little tease here but can't wait for summer.
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    Very cool! I like three, where you see the ground strike.

Had a bit of a T-storm here in the Bay Area--very unusal for us. But as it was
    2 in the afternoon, not much to shoot :D

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    micknewtonmicknewton Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    So I ran out of my house tonight around 12:00am, and drove up a small mountain near my house and set my camera up. Lightning was discharging all around. Here are 4 of the best shots I got of it.

I've always wanted to try capturing lightning, but we hardly ever get any here in north west Oregon.

Your shots are super! How did you shoot them? Are they long exposures, or..?
  • Options
    XO-StudiosXO-Studios Registered Users Posts: 457 Major grins

I'll probably post more later tomorrow morning. But for now, tell me what you think. :)

Great pictures, just make sure we do not have to read about them in the Darwin Awards eek7.gif

XO,
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
    Mark Twain

Some times I get lucky and when that happens I show the results here: http://www.xo-studios.com
  • Options
    Humungus wrote:

Gus
    Hehe, I didn't even know it was 12:00am, I thought it was like around 10:00pm. Funny how that works. Only realized after I woke someone up and they were a bit upset at me.

This afternoon I'll get some more of the series posted!

Most of the photographers were taken via long exposure in bulb mode. Whenever lightning would strike I would take another long exposure photo. I would have gotten a few more hours of photographing going, except it started to pour. I ended up throwing my jacket over the camera and rushing it and the tripod into my car. The pain of it was that it was blowing towards me so the windows were down in my car and the rain was blowing in.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    Cool shots Tyler,
    That looked like it was a real zinger of a storm. I didn't hear anything or see anything and I sleep with my bedroom deck door open. We didn't even get any rain. It's a bummer that I missed it but glad you captured these wonderful shots of it. I don't feel so left-out now.

Thanks for posting and looking forward to more,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    Whoa. I was just looking at this thread again and noticed that, if you look from far
    away, #3 almost looks like a cartoon character--the hulk...that's cool.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Cool shots Tyler,
    That looked like it was a real zinger of a storm. I didn't hear anything or see anything and I sleep with my bedroom deck door open. We didn't even get any rain. It's a bummer that I missed it but glad you captured these wonderful shots of it. I don't feel so left-out now.

Thanks for posting and looking forward to more,
    Chris
    Hehe, I'm surprised, a lot of people didn't see this storm. But it was very big, lit up the sky. I was on Rattlesnake Mountain when I took those photos.
    ian408 wrote:
    Whoa. I was just looking at this thread again and noticed that, if you look from far
    away, #3 almost looks like a cartoon character--the hulk...that's cool.

ian
    That's awesome! Look like the Nightwalker off Mononoke Hime (Princess Mononoke).

I'll have more pics shortly!
  • Options
    Hehe, I'm surprised, a lot of people didn't see this storm. But it was very big, lit up the sky. I was on Rattlesnake Mountain when I took those photos.
    That explains it. Rattlesnake is on the south side and I live on the north side.

Chris

• Options
    For your delight, four more lightning shots. I'll have more later tonight, it takes time to clean the noise up out of the photos, since the exposures were quite long, I got hotpixels. I didn't use noise reduction on the camera because it takes so long, I'd have lost a lot of the shots I got.

lightning050ws.jpg

lightning069fp.jpg

lightning070jx.jpg

lightning081cp.jpg
  • Options
    prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    ...those put my lightning picture to shame. now i need to get revenge....you not only woke me up at 1 in the morning to tell me you got lightning they're better than the one i took. this means war!
  • Options
    Them being better is all just a matter of opinion!

You should post the picture of yours.
    They're going to have more storms this weekend supposedly, if you want to meet up we could take some sweet photos of lightning! But!!! Get a wired remote for your camera. I know it's a bit pricy, but trust me, it'll help out TREMENDOUSLY!
  • Options
    Them being better is all just a matter of opinion!

You should post the picture of yours.
    They're going to have more storms this weekend supposedly, if you want to meet up we could take some sweet photos of lightning! But!!! Get a wired remote for your camera. I know it's a bit pricy, but trust me, it'll help out TREMENDOUSLY!
    lightening8lk.jpg

....yea it sucks, but it's my first picture of lightning EVAR!!! so i like it!
  • Options
    Not to mention that you got it by hand during the day. So with all that implied, that photo is actually pretty damned good. And you beat me with that. I fell instead of snapped. hehe.
  • Options
    edited September 22, 2005
    Not to mention that you got it by hand during the day. So with all that implied, that photo is actually pretty damned good. And you beat me with that. I fell instead of snapped. hehe.
    yea my shutter speed what 1/3 versus you used what??? 25-30 seconds? but the composistion and all that jazz isn't there really and then it's all blurred and crap... oh well i'll get better sooner or later! i have to just to show you up! har har
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    ...those put my lightning picture to shame. now i need to get revenge....you not only woke me up at 1 in the morning to tell me you got lightning they're better than the one i took. this means war!

hehehe...ditto. Very nice shots, Mav.
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    34697871-M.jpg

caught this from my tent backpacking in Yosemite a few weeks ago. Lightning is cool.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    My new lens closes down to F40, so I want to get some nice dayshots. That'd be fun.

That's a great photo though, a nice one for a quick snapshot of the sky.

I'm actually in the process of re-editing all my lightning photos, doing changes in the saturation and color, making it more realistic looking. Also cropping out a lot of the deadspace.
  • Options
    Thanks for the additional shots. I especially like #4, it just appeals to me.
    It looks like you were facing east, but definitely not on top of Rattlesnake. I'm assuming you were on the backside, maybe by the water tank. I'm not recognizing the wooden fence, but then it's been awhile since I was back there.

Thanks again for the additional shots,
    Chris
    lightning081cp.jpg

• Options
    iceman17iceman17 Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    Beautiful shots you have captured there.Lightning is one of my favorite subjects to capture,I shoot it from my deck or the safety of my garage.#3 is awsomethumb.gif .Thanks for sharing these with us...Mike
    I took a picture once
    but they made me give it back.
  • Options
    VinceVince Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    Just Awesome.

lightning014mw.jpg

lightning043nq.jpg

I really like #1 and #4. I love the sky in the first one.

May I ask what your camera settings were? I assume you use a sturdy tripod?

Thanks for sharing. These shots are electric. :wow
    Vince from Toronto :rolleyes
  • Options
    EXIF info should be attached, I don't know of a way to copy it all and paste it correctly on the forums. Uhm, let me try.

Figured it out.

EXIF
    Date/time 9/21/2005 7:24:45 PM
    Exposure time 13 s
    F-number 8
    Exposure program Manual
    ISO speed ratings 200
    Date/time original 9/21/2005 12:22:05 AM
    Date/time digitized 9/21/2005 12:22:05 AM
    Focal length 18 mm
    Sensing method One-chip color area sensor
    Scene type Photographed image
    Custom Rendered Normal process
    Exposure mode Manual exposure
    Focal length in 35mm film 27 mm
    Scene capture type Standard

There we go. :)
  • Options
    i just realized something... if i hadn't given you my tripod you wouldn't have been able to get those shots. your welcome!:D
  • Options
    Thank you thank you! :D

Btw, you should get on AIM, I wanna chat. :P

Oh I do have that mini tripod, so I would ahve gotten a lot of fence and you'd see the uh, sky light up, but no lightning. ;P Thanks for the tripod Kasey! You're a lifesaver!
  • Options
    KalahariBreakdownKalahariBreakdown Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2012
    Desert Lightning Shots
    These are great shots! Here's my need.....My son and I were broke down in the Kalahari a few years ago and nearly died of thirst. Anyway we didn't. But one night we took pictures of the lightning storm off in the distance. They are only 700kb and we want to bloone of them up to a poster size or 2 ft by 2 ft. The picture would go in opur just remodeled bathroom where we have tiles that look like the lightning strikes. Would you be willing to sell me one of the pictures so I could have it blown uop. Thanks in advance for your help. I'm new to Dgrin. Regards, Bill
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited June 26, 2012
    These are great shots! Here's my need.....My son and I were broke down in the Kalahari a few years ago and nearly died of thirst. Anyway we didn't. But one night we took pictures of the lightning storm off in the distance. They are only 700kb and we want to bloone of them up to a poster size or 2 ft by 2 ft. The picture would go in opur just remodeled bathroom where we have tiles that look like the lightning strikes. Would you be willing to sell me one of the pictures so I could have it blown uop. Thanks in advance for your help. I'm new to Dgrin. Regards, Bill

Bill, you realize that this post from DRT-Maverick was from seven years ago, right?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2012
    Hey it's kinda cool that it was bumped, I've been on a bit of a haitus lately, and just recently rediscovered RAW images, making me get back into the game!