Options

#69 - Ordinary enough?

dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
edited February 4, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
Any thoughts on these? I wasn't able to pull off my first idea. I thought of this a couple of days ago. Really hard to look at ice cream as cold as it is right now. :rofl Re-shoot might be possible if I can get back in the kitchen before my other son. This cone is went to the oldest and the other is getting impatient.

Plain Ole' Vanilla

1175952015_usiyT-L.jpg

Or is this better?

1175972826_ZTcDd-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    GlassDarklyGlassDarkly Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2011
    I like the lighting on the second one, but I can't tell if it's the background (suspect it is) that makes it look like there is digital noise.
    Glenn H.
    For we see as in a glass darkly...
    PhotoBeanStudio
    JPSnuffy@Flickr
  • Options
    lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif
    The color looks better on the second - and I didn't notice at first, but it does appear that there's some green noise, mainly on the cone - maybe a smidge less saturation? Also might want to clone out the whitish dots towards the bottom.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    I'm not sure I am really seeing the noise that you are. Are you talking about on the ice cream itself? It probably is caused from cropping or adding a little contrast. I did very little pp on them.
    Here is a different shot from the same group of photos, but it was a little closer and didn't have to be cropped as close. Is this any better?
    The gallery is http://donna-niemann.smugmug.com/Challenges/DSS-69-Unique-or-Ordinary/15689482_kmgbG if that will help any.

1176425168_ijy4X-L.jpg
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    scratch "Plain vanilla" from my list, lol...
    I like it....
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    rteest42 wrote: »
    scratch "Plain vanilla" from my list, lol...
    I like it....

Laughing.gif, Thanks Trish
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Yeah, I don't see the green in the last one (nor the white specks) - it's mainly on the left edge and a little under the first section of cone, & more in #2 than #1. I think the last shot here looks great - I might crop just a smidge of the black off the bottom - to make it more or less balanced instead of centered.
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2011
    Thanks for the input!!
    When I compared the different ones in the large original format I was able to see it. ( I really need some new glasses! :D) I used several different lighting angels and types hoping one would work out right. Now if I could just remember which was which. A friend bought me a great little diffuser for my camera when she got herself one. (http://www.amazon.com/Interfit-Strobies-Small-Camera-Diffuser/dp/B002WGJFJW/ref=pd_cp_p_1) It helped a lot! clap.gif Yippee... no more taping Kleenex to my camera.
    I tried a completely different crop (4) and the one taking the bottom off (5). Here they are...

1176579504_ZJbHz-L.jpg

1176593737_5tYU2-L.jpg
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    My thought here, the photo seems flat to me. I personally would add background lighting to give it separation and more dimension...maybe the use of a snoot or a honeycomb filter overhead would give you a touch more lighting on top...if these filters are unavailable to u, I would try a flashlight with some wax paper, or a piece of white broadcloth on the light to diffuse it.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2011
    Tentacion wrote: »
    My thought here, the photo seems flat to me. I personally would add background lighting to give it separation and more dimension...maybe the use of a snoot or a honeycomb filter overhead would give you a touch more lighting on top...if these filters are unavailable to u, I would try a flashlight with some wax paper, or a piece of white broadcloth on the light to diffuse it.

Thanks for the suggestions. If the ice ever melts and I can get to the store for more ice cream I may try to give it a shot. My reason for leaving the background so plain was that there wasn't much of one. I don't have a decent spot to take shots like that and just used matte board as a background, but I can see what you mean about wanting more depth.
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    So sorry to hear you can't get out Donna: Here is a basic recipe to make fake ice cream, hope it helps:

There are as many recipes for fake ice cream as there are food stylists, but they all are variations on the same theme. Shortening and powdered sugar…
    • 2 cups shortening
    • 2 lb’s 10x powdered sugar
    • Place the shortening and half of the sugar in a food processor and mix in pulses. Continue to add sugar in small amounts and continually check the texture of the mixture until it gets right. The total amount of sugar needed will vary depending on humidity and temperature. Also, if you over shoot and the mixture is too dry add small amounts of vegetable oil and mix.
    Use paste based food coloring or actual food to make the proper color. (ie cocoa, strawberry syrup, etc.) The base recipe (white) is pretty shelf stable and it will keep fairly well

Also,

You can use flat sheets for backdrops, pillow cases for your matte boards, (just make sure they are wrinkle free).

I hope all these little suggestions help you bide your time until the ice melts.

Peace,
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2011
    Tentacion wrote: »
    So sorry to hear you can't get out Donna: Here is a basic recipe to make fake ice cream, hope it helps:

There are as many recipes for fake ice cream as there are food stylists, but they all are variations on the same theme. Shortening and powdered sugar…
    • 2 cups shortening
    • 2 lb’s 10x powdered sugar
    • Place the shortening and half of the sugar in a food processor and mix in pulses. Continue to add sugar in small amounts and continually check the texture of the mixture until it gets right. The total amount of sugar needed will vary depending on humidity and temperature. Also, if you over shoot and the mixture is too dry add small amounts of vegetable oil and mix.
    Use paste based food coloring or actual food to make the proper color. (ie cocoa, strawberry syrup, etc.) The base recipe (white) is pretty shelf stable and it will keep fairly well

Also,

You can use flat sheets for backdrops, pillow cases for your matte boards, (just make sure they are wrinkle free).

I hope all these little suggestions help you bide your time until the ice melts.

Peace,
    Donna P.

Very Cool! I'll have to save this, that could come in really handy.
    No shortening in the house either... but we are up to about 3-4 inches of snow now. Maybe snow ice cream is in my future.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2011
    Snow ice cream is awesome!! May not photograph as well, although it might? I can definitely say that I have never seen a snow ice cream cone!
    ~Lillian~