Need help buying a new Camera

AustinAmateurAustinAmateur Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited February 5, 2011 in Cameras
First off, I am an amateur. I have an interest in photography ever since our newborn came along. I have a basic understanding of cameras and would love to learn more. So, here is our story.

We are looking for a new camera and are having troubles picking one. We have tried a couple cameras and have been disappointed by their image quality. Most of the cameras we have tried have had manual and priority modes. I have really liked these and would like to continue my new interest in photography. However, my wife wants a simple point and shoot camera that she can turn on and take a good picture.

This site seems like it is more for the professional or semi-pro was wondering if you guys could offer any advice on what camera to invest in. I ultimately would like an SLR but I can't justify spending the money right know when we also need a good point and shoot to carry around.

Here are the cameras we have tried and been disappointed in:

Canon Powershot SX210 - Image quality is noisy/soft, great zoom, great video, great manual and priority modes for a point and shoot.
Nikon Coolpix S8100 - Overexposed, no manual modes, and image quality is noisy/soft
Sony Cypersot DSC-HX5V - Image quality is okay but we take a lot of indoor photos in low light.

I can go on and on about these cameras but just wanted an honest opinion on which way to go.

Thanks in advance!
<!-- / message -->

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    If you are looking for a Point and Shoot for ease of use rather than pocketability, I would strongly suggest an entry level dSLR with a simple 50mm f/1.8 lens. It's how I started with my son 5 1/2 years ago and will allow you to shoot photos in almost no light and still be easy for your wife to pick up and use. You can likely find a previous generation model for less money (esp used).
    edited February 3, 2011
    Just did a quick search on the forums and found one selling for $275.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=189504 ne_nau.gif
  • AustinAmateurAustinAmateur Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Do you have any model suggestions, where to buy, and preference on buying used vs new.

Thanks.
    edited February 3, 2011
    I've lost track of the Rebel series (their labeling always confused me). At the moment the 550D/T2i is the newest model and is a very solid entry cam. The prior gen T1i is a good alternative (missing the latest bells/whistles) and can't be beat on the used market place as far as price. I don't know the Dgrinner selling the camera mentioned above but, for 275 for the camera and 90 for the lens, it would make an awesome combo.
    There are rumors of a 600D being announced in the near future so that may bring the current 550D down in price a bit.
    That being said, I shot my kid's first year of life with the 350D (4 generations old now) and the 50mm lens and have no regrets...
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    There are three point and shoot cameras that have fast lenses. Fast meaning they allow in more light than most, and allow faster shutter speeds in low light, around F2.

Panasonic LX5
    Canon S95
    Olympus XZ-1 (just released)

The LX3 and S90 (predecessors to the top two) are available used.

If you haven't tried a truly advanced, high level point and shoot, you might find it a revelation. Suggest you go to a good camera store and try each of them.
  • roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    You might also look into a "bridge" camera which will allow your wife to use it as a point and shoot, but allow you a great amount of control over exposure, etc. It's a great compromise, but a compromise nevertheless.

The Canon SX30 is such a camera.

Roak
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    The SX210 and S95 are the best cameras in that specific class (under $300 as well) I owned an SX210 till I got a bag which allowed me to carry my SLR everywhere in a quiet fashion. It will make excellent 8x10s, and 11x14s if its not a noisy pic. The s95 is better if you want low light and don't care about telephoto.

The SX210 has full manual for you to learn, aperture priority, shutter priority, and full auto for your wife. Also, a full and massive zoom range for all situations, fairly good 720P video with sound, and a decent F3.4 at wide angles (i assume you'll take photos of the baby @ close focal lengths indoors)

Its basically an everything in 1 camera that has above average qualities in all of its features except for extreme macro where its blurry around the edges and sharp just in the center. For the S95, there isn't a massive amount of improvement in IQ over the SX210 other than a wider aperture by about 1 stop at the short side, a slightly better shadow rendition, and that fancy clicky focus ring. Oh, the S95 does look cooler too. ;) I had a lot of trouble choosing between the SX210 and S95 when I shopped for a point and shoot camera, and I found myself imagining using the S95 while I was actually shooting with the sx210, and I found I'd be kicking myself in many more situations for having chosen the S95 over the SX210. The Sx210 covers way more bases without sacrificing much at all.
    edited February 4, 2011
    I am currently shooting with the SX210 and have been for the past week. I like all the features but when taking portrait shots indoors, the subject seems to be "fuzzy". Not the crisp, clean, sharp images we would expect. I do the features of the SX210, especially the zoom, but even in Auto Mode (something you probably hate to hear on hear), the pictures are sometimes overexposed or soft.

Am I expecting too much or am I doing something wrong?
  • bsclark_1bsclark_1 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Welcome to the forums. Spend some time here, and you'll learn a lot....

I don't see where you really mentioned a budget... Just that you can't afford a DSLR.

I would strongly consider the Fuji Finepix S series... I just recently got into SLR, and my previous camera was a Fuji Finepix S5200. It is more of a Prosumer point and shoot - A bridge between P&S and SLR if you will...

The S5200 is older, and around 5MP, but can be had on ebay for around $100. It has an incredible 10x optical zoom (38 - 380mm), and feels like a small DSLR when you hold it. You can find a review for it at:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/fujifilm/finepix-s5200-zoom/fujifilm-finepix-s5200-zoom-review.html

It was replace by the S7000, which was replaced by the S9000. You can read about both of these on Steve's Digicams as well...

I think you'll be very happy with any of these... I know I was.
    edited February 4, 2011
    My budget is around $350. I don't necessarily need pocketability but portability. Hauling around a 2 year old and an infant already has its own challenges. I can't worry about hauling a DSLR and accesories all the time.
    edited February 4, 2011
    I am currently shooting with the SX210 and have been for the past week. I like all the features but when taking portrait shots indoors, the subject seems to be "fuzzy". Not the crisp, clean, sharp images we would expect. I do the features of the SX210, especially the zoom, but even in Auto Mode (something you probably hate to hear on hear), the pictures are sometimes overexposed or soft.

Am I expecting too much or am I doing something wrong?

Might be doing something wrong, I had a great time using the camera in all situations :)

If you're zooming in on people way too much indoors that may affect the minimum focusing distance, or, the camera is focusing on the wrong thing and a setting may help somewhere.

The camera does have a button adjusted manual focus mode too, but I'd read the instruction manual on which buttons adjust it. I forgot.
    edited February 4, 2011

Would be very helpful if you posted examples so we could see what is going on, and potentially offer solutions

A common issue in low light without a flash is a)low shutter speed and motion blur b) high ISO noise (looks like film grain) or both.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Grainbelt wrote: »
    There are three point and shoot cameras that have fast lenses. Fast meaning they allow in more light than most, and allow faster shutter speeds in low light, around F2.

Panasonic LX5
    Canon S95
    Olympus XZ-1 (just released)

The LX3 and S90 (predecessors to the top two) are available used.

If you haven't tried a truly advanced, high level point and shoot, you might find it a revelation. Suggest you go to a good camera store and try each of them.

You forgot the Samsung TL500/EX1, f1.8, and available for ~300. deal.gif
    edited February 4, 2011
    To me, this pictures depicts what I am talking about. The clothes and background seem really clear but his face seems to be noisy.
    edited February 4, 2011
    That didn't show up like it is on my computer.
    edited February 5, 2011
    That didn't show up like it is on my computer.

Browsers have their own (or lack of) color management so its not all universally seen the same way... oh and this isnt the same pic that you emailed me that one is like 10x larger :D
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    It's out of focus. If he's moving it's probably because of slow AF. P&S's have slow AF. THe background should be blurred, but he should be sharp. In this photo, it's the other way around.

I think if you want to shoot moving subjects you''ll want a DSLR. You wouldn't have to carry accessories around, just a light camera with a light lens. Keep a mem card in the cam.

Get a used 10D and a 50 1.8 and you'll be doing much better.
    edited February 5, 2011
    Get a used 10D and a 50 1.8 and you'll be doing much better.

50 is pretty long on a crop sensor. Perhaps a used D70 and a 35 1.8 from that other company. thumb.gif
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    Sure, that works. I was just thinking along Canon lines, but your idea is probably better. A 35mm would work better than a 50 for shots like this.