Badlands, South Dakota USA

HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited February 4, 2011 in Landscapes
Hi All,
First post here. New to Dgrin and have enjoyed all the participation and banter found within.

This shot, I pulled out of an archive for practice. It was shot with a near top-of-the-line (at the time) 5MP point and shoot.

The yellow hue of the soil was quite surreal in this particular area, I bumped it up some but it really was brilliant in person. Enjoy!

1168922288_AxYbn-L.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Dave aka HDRoamer

Comments

• shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Nice place, I had the opportunity to visit this place several years ago. Reminded me alot of Arizona.
    My suggestion would be to dial down the yellow saturation just a hair & maybe crop some of the uneventful sky to focus more on the the beautiful foreground. Welcome to DGrin. keep on posting.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2011
    Wow, this is one of the most colorful photos I've seen of the Badlands. I have wanted to go visit for a really long time. If it's as colorful as you say it is, I might bump that destination up a notch. :D

I actually don't think I've seen much in the way of overcast weather like this there. Looks very very awesome.
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    Wow, this is one of the most colorful photos I've seen of the Badlands. I have wanted to go visit for a really long time. If it's as colorful as you say it is, I might bump that destination up a notch. :D

I actually don't think I've seen much in the way of overcast weather like this there. Looks very very awesome.

It is really very yellow and unusual and colorful, I did saturate a little too. Further back to the east and around a few bends it turns to the normal earthy browns and reds.
    Although, it might have been my sunglasses or the night before, just kidding.

I checked some subsequent shots, it was a very strange light that day, a storm was moving in so it probably had something to do with it. Fairly clear to the east, cloudy to the west. It is worth the trip if in the area.
  • HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Here is another a few hours prior and back to the east.

1168468990_6QR42-1200x1200.jpg