Options

The 2011 Season Begins - Priorities - [b]School 2.0!

Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
edited February 5, 2011 in Weddings
Hello there, fellow wedding photographers!

It is with much excitement and some sadness that I write this post. I love this group of photographers!

I'm super excited because here in Southern California, the 2011 season is already in full swing. Of course don't get me wrong, it's not sunny and 72 every day, in fact two weekends ago I photographed a wedding in Tahoe and I nearly got hypothermia shooting the outdoor, post-sunset ceremony. Good times.

But anyways, I've got a lot of work ahead of me, and I'm going to have to be very dedicated over the next few months. That definitely involves spending less time on the internet, unfortunately. My wife Joy has been helping me out recently with staying on top of business; we just looked over all our 2010 and 2011 contracts and made a to-do list for making sure every single client is THRILLED with their service and their images. Color me daunted.

I rented about $4,000 worth of lenses and things for that Tahoe wedding too, and needless to say I did a lot of drooling. The new Nikon 35 1.4 FX, the Sigma 85 1.4 FX, and other stuff. But then I realized I won't be able to afford any of it this year unless I buckle my seat belt, rock the business, and make some extra cash. Which is exactly what I'm going to do.

Anyways, I'll still be around, I can't resist this friendly, knowledgeable group. I will unfortunately be restricting MOST of my online photography community interaction to the brand-new school 2.0, which is currently closed to new students but will open in a few days. It's where many of my local associates are, and it's a VERY serious environment for anyone hoping to become a professional wedding or portrait photographer, full-time or part-time. I highly recommend it!

Anyways, I do look forward to seeing you all around! Just thought I'd post this so people wouldn't wonder if I fall off the face of the map for a week / month straight. A lot of weddings this year are going to involve travel, and those require a lot more care and customer service...

If I can "leave" any aspiring wedding photographers with something, it's definitely that- TAKE CARE OF YOUR CLIENTS. Don't worry about lenses or cameras, don't even worry too much about finding the perfect album supplier, web host, price list, etc. Just focus on being there for your clients and making them happy, ...and success will come. :-)

Take care,
=Matt=

(Last wedding image of 2010. Follow my blog for more... http://matthewsaville.com/blog)
1125567082_hMkCX-O.jpg
My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum

Comments

• Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    You'll be missed!

Thank you for being so generous with your knowledge and wisdom, and best wishes with reaching your goals this year.

P.S. Amazing image, again!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    take care Matt. you have some great nerd skills that will be missed.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    I'll barrage you in a couple months with pm's and make you stop in a post some images. Ha!

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Mark1616Mark1616 Registered Users Posts: 319 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    I know I'm still pretty new and don't make it on here a lot but just to say I've valued your posts and look forward to seeing what you create in the next few months. Hope you have a very successful time :)

I'm here to learn so please feel free to give me constructive criticism to help me become the photographer I desire to be.

• Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    You're definitely going to be missed on here Matt. I guess you must really like school if you're going to devote all your time there! I've been debating back and forth.

Anyone else here on dgrin also a member of school?
  • Options
    chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    What a fantastic image!

I'll miss reading your words of wisdom. Good luck with the business.

Chris
  • Options
    mmmattmmmatt Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    You're definitely going to be missed on here Matt. I guess you must really like school if you're going to devote all your time there! I've been debating back and forth.

I can't believe I even thought Matt had a typo in his thread post! Like... yeah, right!

First I've ever heard of it. Maybe I'll investigate.

Matt
    My Smugmug site

Bodies: Canon 5d mkII, 5d, 40d
    Lenses: 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f4.0L, 135 f2L, 85 f1.8, 50 1.8, 100 f2.8 macro, Tamron 28-105 f2.8
    Flash: 2x 580 exII, Canon ST-E2, 2x Pocket Wizard flexTT5, and some lower end studio strobes
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    I'll still be around! I'm not vanishing completely, just prioritizing. If I finish work early some days, I'll certainly be browsing the communities I enjoy.
    mmmatt wrote: »
    I can't believe I even thought Matt had a typo in his thread post! Like... yeah, right!

First I've ever heard of it. Maybe I'll investigate.

Matt
    Shima wrote: »

The school is (Chris) Becker's school community for the business side of wedding and portrait photography, it's a $20/ month community so there's ONLY super-serious users in there. It's mostly private, but they'll soon be debuting a public referral system on a public profile page where you can send brides to either shore up your own credibility, or give the bride a pick of your favorite 2-3 friends who you'd like to refer a job to. Trust me it's gonna be super snazzy.

But this isn't an ad for the school. I don't get paid if you sign up haha. Well not yet, but they're working on a referral system some day. Anyways, thanks for commenting, yall. I'll see you 'round. Alright, now I'm off to WORK! It's Saturday! :-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum