Options

soccer team pics

hpazphotoshpazphotos Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited February 8, 2011 in Sports
i have been approached to take soccer team pictures. this will be my first time shooting a large job. i understand that i should first obtain the roster of all the kids then provide them with the order form. however im a bit at a lost for next steps. is there a proposal that should be given to coach? does anyone have a sample they can forward me? do you offer the coaches free prints? hope someone can help.

Comments

• Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    I assume by team pix you mean during the game, and not just a shot of them posed in front of the goal?

I shoot soccer all the time, but not for a fee (even in professional games). However, I have heard from fellow photogs that there are two ways to charge: by the print, and a flat fee for shooting the game. Since there is no guarantee that you'll get good shots of all the players (some players are not photogenic; others just don't do very much in the game), I suspect that you'll need to put up low res and watermarked copies online, and let people order the prints they want. However, you can maximize your potential by trying to get good shots of all the players, and this does require knowing who they are, where they play, as well as enough understanding of the game to know where to position yourself. For example, I have shot games that are so dominated by one side that the defense of the winning team has nothing to do. In situations like that, I hover at the far end of the field to get shots of the forwards and the keeper.

Anyway, maybe not what you were looking for, but in my experience most photographers sell prints as their prime business model, at least at amateur sporting events.
  • Options
    b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Depending how many teams you are shooting, I took one of the team and added individual photo's in. The down side is it took me a season to get one teams individual shot that I liked.
    I try to get just to the left or right of the goal posts a few feet back and try not to distract the keeper. This is a great place for a player that is on the offence. For defence, I try to get just above the 18 yd. line.

http://sportscenes.smugmug.com/Art/Graphic-Art-Design/14032929_AYFMA
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • Options
    hpazphotoshpazphotos Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited February 8, 2011
    thanks for your reply. did you by chance provide some sort of proposal to land the photo gig?