Help! Weird Icon Messages in File Preview!

awooawoo Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited February 4, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
I've never seen this before - I have "extra" icons when I opened my file to view thumbnails of photos I've just taken. These "extra" icons have very strange "encryptions" and when you click on the the microsoft photo viewer reads "Windows photo viewer cannot open this picture because either the picture is deleted or it's in a location that isn't available."

:dunno

This is what my file preview looks like, when I open my camera CF card folder:
DSC_Error.png

Oh, and my files seem to open just fine. And the actual files are included smack in the middle of these alien icons.

Comments

• racerracer Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    I looks like you have a bad CF card. This is confirmed if there are photos that you took that are missing. There appears to be part of a photo number in one of them "_7904", that would be a number of a photo in that sequence.
    If you can use the Nikon program to download the photos from the camera, use that to be sure you download the correct files. If I does download all the photos you took, then format the card, then take some test shots to see if the card does the same thing again. If you dont get all the photos off the card, you might want to try a recovery program if the photos are important to you, if not, just get what you can get, reformat, and test it out.
    Test it thorough, and even then, I would move it to the back of the bag and only use it as a last resort if you fill up all other cards
    Todd - My Photos
  • awooawoo Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    racer wrote: »
    I looks like you have a bad CF card. This is confirmed if there are photos that you took that are missing. There appears to be part of a photo number in one of them "_7904", that would be a number of a photo in that sequence.
    If you can use the Nikon program to download the photos from the camera, use that to be sure you download the correct files. If I does download all the photos you took, then format the card, then take some test shots to see if the card does the same thing again. If you dont get all the photos off the card, you might want to try a recovery program if the photos are important to you, if not, just get what you can get, reformat, and test it out.
    Test it thorough, and even then, I would move it to the back of the bag and only use it as a last resort if you fill up all other cards

It is confirmed I am missing a couple photos. Thanks for your insight. It's time for a new card anyway!!