70 (or 80)-200mm 2.8 NON IS for Canon opinions

JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited February 5, 2011 in Cameras
Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a used 70-200 2.8, (for my 7d) and have read lots of reviews on all of them... I'm looking for some personal opinions from actual use of some them.. The candidates are non IS and used...(limited by $$$):

Canon MkI with lots of battle scars on the body, some dust, and a few small nicks on the front element from a well rated seller on FM who says it is tack sharp and focuses well, and that the nicks haven't affected his pics... Listed for $650 +shipping/paypal fees

Sigma (waiting to hear back from seller on whether it is MkI or II/ APO or not) perfect glass/ slight dent in filter threads... Listed for $550 shipped

Canon 80-200 2.8 "magic drainpipe" possibly if I can find one... I just missed a $700 "pristine" listed on FM...

Also considering the Tamron, but no specific listing at the moment...

If I had the money, of course I'd be looking at the canon MkII IS like I rented this summer (amazing), but I'm really kind of pushing it at the $600-$700 range...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    When you cannot afford what you want you might consider a new EF 70-300 with IS and USM. I own one and it works well. The IS supposedly delivers 3 stops which brings it close to the old lenses you are talking about.

I would want to give up the IS or USM on a telephoto lens, and not only for the low light advantage, but I suppose it depends what you want to use it for and how. My hands are unsteady and my technique not perfect. The 70-300 works for me and is affordable.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    I say get the first one. If the pics aren't affected theen that is an amazing deal. The magic drainpipe focuses slowly, so it's not very good for sports. Don't get the Tamron either; it also focuses slowly. The Sigma focuses faster but not as fast as the Canon. And I think the Canon has the best IQ.
  • JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    Thanks for the input... I was kind of leaning toward the canon too... I already have the 70-300 IS and while I like it (and do feel like it was an upgrade from the 55-250 IS I had before), i'm looking for something a little sharper with a bigger aperture... of course, now I'm having car trouble, so I'm not sure I'll be able to get a lens after all... if I do, I'll post how it performs... thanks again

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk