Options

Looking for Advice on Prints that are Larger than What's Available through Smugmug

JamesVernacotolaJamesVernacotola Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited February 15, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I have a client that is interested in purchasing a print of one of my photos in Metallic Print or Float Mounted Metal Print, but in a larger size than what is available through Smugmug.

It looks like the largest size I can accommodate through Smugmug is 24x36 (keeping the 2:3 ratio), and she wants 48x72.

I have 2 Questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a printer that deals in larger sizes, and also uses paper that is at least similar to the Metallic Print offered by Bay Photo? (or the Float Mounted Metal Print - I know this one is a reach)

2. My photo is natively 3768x4752 (15MP). Do you think the quality loss would be significant by printing at 48x72? That's 66 dots/pixels per inch. Should I be concerned about this, and potentially recommend a smaller size? Does anyone have experience printing photos this large that can offer advice? She plans to hang it on a wall in her house, potentially above her fireplace. Not exactly sure of her viewing distance expectations.

The photo she is interested in purchasing is here.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Jimmy

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2011
    Bay photo can do 40 X 60 metal prints.

When in doubt give them a call. They can work with you with regard to image size, quality, etc.

Sam
  • Options
    JamesVernacotolaJamesVernacotola Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    Thanks for the quick reply, Sam. I spoke to Bay today, and you are right; they do in fact to the Mounted Metal at 40x60. They said the largest paper print can be no larger than 30x?? (one side has to be 30 or less), so 30x45 would be the largest I can do w/ paper. Metal Mount can be done in 40x60 (up to 42x96) but the starting cost is $509 before any options/markup/shipping. Not sure my client is willing to spend that much although I'll still work up a price for her.

Anyone have any other printers you know of and trust, that would do larger paper prints similar to the Metallic Print at Bay? (at least 40x60)

Thanks!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Bay photo can do 40 X 60 metal prints.

When in doubt give them a call. They can work with you with regard to image size, quality, etc.

Sam

Actually even bigger! Call Bay.
  • Options
    HDRoamerHDRoamer Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    I have a client that is interested in purchasing a print of one of my photos in Metallic Print or Float Mounted Metal Print, but in a larger size than what is available through Smugmug.

It looks like the largest size I can accommodate through Smugmug is 24x36 (keeping the 2:3 ratio), and she wants 48x72.

I have 2 Questions:

2. My photo is natively 3768x4752 (15MP). Do you think the quality loss would be significant by printing at 48x72? That's 66 dots/pixels per inch. Should I be concerned about this, and potentially recommend a smaller size? Does anyone have experience printing photos this large that can offer advice? She plans to hang it on a wall in her house, potentially above her fireplace. Not exactly sure of her viewing distance expectations.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Jimmy

I recently had discussion with Bay, Sam, Art and others about sizing.
    Bay recommends 300 dpi for metal prints. 250 for paper stocks.
    http://www.bayphoto.com/bayweb/pro_fileprep.htm
    Based on your current size, your shot needs some "up sizing" to hold quality. Bay told me they do not provide that service. So you'll need to do it your self. Up-Sizing thread here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=135299

Good Luck!
    PS: I've just downloaded 'Perfect Resize', but have not tried it yet.
  • Options
    ColoradoSkierColoradoSkier Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    I have had success upsizing with Genuine Fractals (former name for what is now "Perfect Resize") in the past.
    Chester Bullock
    Lakewood, Colorado, USA
    My Pictures | My blog
    Facebook | Twitter