nicer lens for 20D worth it?

uncreativeuncreative Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited February 9, 2011 in Cameras
I was recently gifted a 20D with the kit lens that it originally came with. this really sparked an interest in photography.

long story short, my brother in law has a 5DmkII, and his pics taken in similar conditions just have a little extra 'pop' to them. he has the wide range L zoom (24-105?) kit lens.

am i wasting money to purchase expensive glass for this antiquated body?

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited February 5, 2011
    Absolutely not. You will see an immediate improvement in the image quality. And you can continue to use it on the next body you buy. The 20D coupled with L glass can deliver outstanding pics. Take a look at some of the shots from six or seven years ago on Dgrin and you'll see. I still have a 20D as a backup and use it once in a while when shooting events and I want to use two cameras.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    That kit lens is truly horrible. You'd be better off with L glass, of course, but even something like the Tamron 17-50 would be a big step up. At around $600 for the vibration compensation (their term for IS) version, or about $450 for the standard version, it's an affordable step up that will give you much better images. Compare that with the Canon 17-55 at about $1000, which is also a very fine (non-L) lens.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    BTW, I think the 24-105 is not wide enough for your only lens on a 1.6 crop camera. It's a great lens on full frame, though.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    DavidTO wrote: »
    BTW, I think the 24-105 is not wide enough for your only lens on a 1.6 crop camera. It's a great lens on full frame, though.

Until you know what you want, the 17-85 EFS was a great intro lens for me, good range an the IS was helpful. For a crop camera like the 20D, the 17-85 is the equivalent focal range (DavidTO is right, 24mm isn't wide on a 20D). Although, I'd def recommend the 1755 2.8 IS if you can spare the change.

At the very least, get yourself a 50mm 1.8. That kit lens cannot achieve the DOF that a DSLR in my mind, was built for! Otherwise you have a heavy, expensive point and shoot if you have to shoot everything at f5.6.

deal.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    I've been using my 20D for years now, it may be "old" and "out date" but it shoots more fps than most new cameras entering the market place today. I have several "L" series lenses for it and don't regret it one bit.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    I'd say shoot w/ your camera set-up until you understand what you are doing, read books, magazines, online articles, and really understand what you have and how to use them. Then borrow lenses from your brother in law, see which lenses you like noting the features (widest apertures, focal lengths, and most of all prices), then shop around later on. Spending 500-1000 dollars on another lens when you haven't even used the stuff you already have is a really bad way to be spending. Just my $0.02. :) Congrats on the 20D, you're already ahead!
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    ditto all

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    uncreative wrote: »
    long story short, my brother in law has a 5DmkII, and his pics taken in similar conditions just have a little extra 'pop' to them. he has the wide range L zoom (24-105?) kit lens.
    am i wasting money to purchase expensive glass for this antiquated body?

I bought the 24-105 for my Rebel (as antiquated as a 20D I think) for exactly the reasons Richard stated. It immediately raised the image quality of the camera, since the lens is the most important part of the whole system. And I knew I would keep it for many years and bodies...I've already migrated the lens up to my 7D.

If you buy the right lens, it is never a waste. A good lens is often the least wasteful thing you can buy. Bodies go obsolete so much faster.
  • uncreativeuncreative Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    thanks everyone, i appreciate the responses. i think i'll rent an L lens or two and see if i notice a difference.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    uncreative wrote: »
    thanks everyone, i appreciate the responses. i think i'll rent an L lens or two and see if i notice a difference.

yes, borrow or rent lens first
  • jchinjchin Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    The glass is more important than the body ... you will not go wrong with the 24-105L on the 20D. I have been using that before my 20D shutter died after 80K frames. The lens is now used on my other camera bodies.
    Johnny J. Chin ~ J. Chin Photography
    FacebookFlickrSmugMug
    SmugMug referral coupon code: ix3uDyfBU6xXs
    (use this for a discount off your SmugMug subscription)
  • philtherowerphiltherower Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    In terms of price:performance, I'm a great advocate of the Tamron 17-50 non VC. It work great on my 30D, which is the same sensor as the 20D. If you went with that, you'd definitely be happy with its weight, size, aperture, and IQ.