Options

Anyone here try hair salon portraits?

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited February 11, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I was just wondering if anyone here has had personal experience with doing portraits at a hair salon, and if so if they had any tips and suggestions about doing one.

There is no shortage of hair salons in the town my studio is in, it seems every other building has a salon in it. but they are not usually that large, so I probably will be forced to do head shots, no full length.

It probably would have been wise to start this back in November when the salons are busy to get the bookings, and schedule it for the first of February when the salons business is pretty slow.

Im intersted in knowing if you presold packages, if you gave a cut to the salon or if they just do it for the increased business during the slow times. And what sort of packages people were interested in. Printed on the spot or took the time to process them properly and delivered later.

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    i have shot in 1 hair salon here....it was fun, it was cramped....I got paid a fee to come in and shoot....I did modeling headshots, family portraits and really risque stripper shots in the salon during their regular business hours......I know they pre-sold packages at the booking time and they also did just like most studios...you paid a sitting fee and got a folder of proofs to look over and order from.

Now I shoot runway shows in another salon here......well it is actually a stylist school......but that is a whole different thing......I just sell the students whole disks of the nights show with watermarks and copyrights on images.......they order by image number via PayPal invoice.....................

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    if you give them a cd to order from, wouldnt it just be easier to sell from smugmug?

Who is buying yoru product? the hair dressers or the people getting their pictures? I could be reading it wrong, but it sounds like you are selling the images to the students.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    GerryDavid wrote: »
    if you give them a cd to order from, wouldnt it just be easier to sell from smugmug?

Who is buying yoru product? the hair dressers or the people getting their pictures? I could be reading it wrong, but it sounds like you are selling the images to the students.

The student hairdressers (and parents of the students), the school.......I prefer to self fulfill because I use local Pro processors (by PRo Processor....I get a huge, really HUUUUGE discount over the average JOE that walks in and processes his family snap shots, whether I order 1 wallet or any larger amount of pix)......They are the same processors that I have used for most of the last 30yrs, I can walk in and complain if need be.......I also see the clients when I deliver the pix....it is a personal thing for me.........as to would it not be easier to sell off SM, easier is not always better......take a look at #53 ........it is upto each if they use SM to do the selling. I do have some stuff priced on my website to go thru SM, but ALL of my sales have been by email and PayPal invoice
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    B RockB Rock Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    This is something I have been looking into as well. I'm hoping to cross market with some of the local salons around here for some extra income.