#69 - One Idea

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
edited February 7, 2011 in The Dgrin Challenges
I got this idea after a heavy snow in our area. Do you think it works for this challenge? I realize that it is a unique way of conveying an ordinary "feeling" or state of things, so not sure it really fits. I would welcome C & C as I am new to processing color photos as black and white. Thanks.

Overburdened
1178489581_fW76U-M-1.jpg

Other captions that came to mind were "Bending without Breaking" and "Weighed Down"...

I didn't see any similar entries (or potential entries) but have been away for a week.

Thanks.

Comments

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited February 5, 2011
    New to Challenges
    It is a little intimidating to even think about entering challenges like these partly because of the great entries posted by others. But a big part of dgrin seems to be learning from each other and appreciating the unique vision of other photographers, so here I am...contemplating it.
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,959 moderator
    edited February 5, 2011
    Would this be a better option for Unique?

2. Mansion "on Ice"
    1178589809_ZKSdY-L.jpg
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    Welcome to the challenges Gretchenwings.gif

I can definitely feel the "heaviness" of the photo, as well as relate to it after getting hit hard here as well. I like your first title for it Overburdened, I think it helps identify your direction with the theme.
    Your conversion looks good, at least on my monitor, but I'm wondering what it would look like in color.
    I just noticed you added a second photo, it has a very icy feel to it, but not sure I'm getting unique from it, I will look at it some more....
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • oldtown_dreameroldtown_dreamer Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2011
    welcome!

congratulations on finding the courage to post for the first time. i remember the feeling, and i also remember the 1st image i posted on this forum and the advice i got (wonderful advice that i didn't have a clue as to how to actually implement). this is a very nurturing community that will help you learn and grow and you'll find out that everybody really tries to help eachother get better.

and now for my $0.02; i think you manage to convey the 'overburdened' sentiment quite effectively. one thing i'd do if this was my image would be to clone out the power lines as they are a distraction. as far as the conversion to b/w, i really like your blacks, but the sky feels a bit over-exposed.

- Diana
    edited February 5, 2011
    ic4u wrote: »
    Welcome to the challenges Gretchenwings.gif

I can definitely feel the "heaviness" of the photo, as well as relate to it after getting hit hard here as well. I like your first title for it Overburdened, I think it helps identify your direction with the theme.
    Your conversion looks good, at least on my monitor, but I'm wondering what it would look like in color.

Here is a color rendition. I remember now that there was some chromatic aberration with the green, but I think I have fixed it. See what you think. I am also posting another shot taken that same day. Thank you for your helpful input!

#3 Overburdened (color version)
    1178721867_RF2Dt-M.jpg

#4 Overwhelmed
    1178750122_JxPdv-L.jpg
    edited February 5, 2011
    welcome!

congratulations on finding the courage to post for the first time. i remember the feeling, and i also remember the 1st image i posted on this forum and the advice i got (wonderful advice that i didn't have a clue as to how to actually implement). this is a very nurturing community that will help you learn and grow and you'll find out that everybody really tries to help eachother get better.

and now for my $0.02; i think you manage to convey the 'overburdened' sentiment quite effectively. one thing i'd do if this was my image would be to clone out the power lines as they are a distraction. as far as the conversion to b/w, i really like your blacks, but the sky feels a bit over-exposed.

Thank you for your encouragement! This is my first time to consider entering one of these challenges, but I have posted on dgrin before and entered two of the mini-challenges (in two years). Each time I tackled one learning curve or another to get the image I entered.

I'll take another look at the b/w version of this image and see what I can do to improve it.
    edited February 5, 2011
    welcome!
    i think you manage to convey the 'overburdened' sentiment quite effectively. one thing i'd do if this was my image would be to clone out the power lines as they are a distraction. as far as the conversion to b/w, i really like your blacks, but the sky feels a bit over-exposed.

Does this seem better? Darkened the sky a bit and removed some of the power lines hoping to minimize the distraction while keeping some of the wires visible for context and scale - but may try removing them all later. thanks again for your helpful input!

Before #1a - Overburdened
    1178489581_fW76U-S-1.jpg

After #1b - Overburdened
    1178796646_Qbxfg-L.jpg
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    Hi sapphire73,

and welcome to the challenges!

I like your first one in color more, but I personally find #4 "Overwhelmed" the best of all you posted,
    because of the composition and light.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    photo-bug wrote: »
    I like your first one in color more, but I personally find #4 "Overwhelmed" the best of all you posted,
    because of the composition and light.

15524779-Ti.gif #4 is my favorite of your set!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    I like #4 for the challenge.

I also like #2, the mansion on ice, but it does not say unique to me as strongly as #4 says ordinary.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    I like the idea, personally, I think you can find better angles for these fotos, perhaps a hovering over angle or one that shoots below your subject? This would bring more drama to your images. :)
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    I like the last you posted best... great composition!
    edited February 6, 2011
    rteest42 wrote: »
    I like the last you posted best... great composition!

Appreciate the input. By last, do you mean #4 in color with its heavy branches or the last black and white version of an evergreen bent over?
    edited February 6, 2011
    mr peas wrote: »
    I like the idea, personally, I think you can find better angles for these fotos, perhaps a hovering over angle or one that shoots below your subject? This would bring more drama to your images. :)

Too late to try a new angle as that snow fell in the end of January and gave way to ice while I was out of town for a few days. Do you have a preference for either of the shots I was able to get that day?

As an aside, these were taken at the back of my yard where I took camera, tripod, and a pole to knock the snow off a branch threatening my internet access :D
    edited February 6, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Too late to try a new angle as that snow fell in the end of January and gave way to ice while I was out of town for a few days. Do you have a preference for either of the shots I was able to get that day?

As an aside, these were taken at the back of my yard where I took camera, tripod, and a pole to knock the snow off a branch threatening my internet access :D

I like the mansion shot better :)
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    My favorite is the mansion shot....nice one!
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
    edited February 6, 2011
    It is a little intimidating to even think about entering challenges like these partly because of the great entries posted by others. But a big part of dgrin seems to be learning from each other and appreciating the unique vision of other photographers, so here I am...contemplating it.

This is the best way to improve, the best way to learn. Plus its a blast full of fun, you'll be exercising those creative brain muscles and those always need flexing!
    edited February 6, 2011
    mr peas wrote: »
    This is the best way to improve, the best way to learn. Plus its a blast full of fun, you'll be exercising those creative brain muscles and those always need flexing!

So true! I ended up using one of the shots of overloaded branches because it seemed a better fit for the theme, but the mansion on ice shot is the one that draws me in. Thanks for your frank input on this. Fun to see your tea party shot and how it evolved!
    edited February 6, 2011
    I like your very last one best, although for me I think it would be better in color
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited February 6, 2011
    I like your very last one best, although for me I think it would be better in color

Did you see the color version in #3 and still prefer it in color? At this point, I have entered #4 in the challenge because of the golden light in this shot but the other one may make a "stronger statement". It is helpful to hear how various people respond to these images - and to see their images! Thanks.
    edited February 6, 2011
    Did you see the color version in #3 and still prefer it in color? At this point, I have entered #4 in the challenge because of the golden light in this shot but the other one may make a "stronger statement". It is helpful to hear how various people respond to these images - and to see their images! Thanks.

I like the colored version of 3, minus the 2 power lines you were able to clone out as in the last shot. #4 is nice too, but not sure it has as strong a feel, IMO.
    Karin

edited February 6, 2011
    I like the colored version of 3, minus the 2 power lines you were able to clone out as in the last shot. #4 is nice too, but not sure it has as strong a feel, IMO.

Thanks for your input. May go back and work on #3 again as I liked it more once I figured out how to find the chromatic aberration tool in LR3! :)

Saw your idea for an entry and like the concept very much. Will go back and comment on that thread. Thanks!
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    I really like the lighting & comp of #4 - & the title - nice shot!
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
    edited February 7, 2011
    lkbart wrote: »
    I really like the lighting & comp of #4 - & the title - nice shot!

This is the shot I am using for the entry, so I appreciate your affirmation. (Considered using the other tree with snow shot but was still having trouble with the green "bleeding" onto the snow. Not good!)

Gretchen
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    my 2¢...
    I like the one you have already entered.
    It actually gives that feeling of being weighed down and the name is just right.
    edited February 7, 2011
    dnie wrote: »
    I like the one you have already entered.
    It actually gives that feeling of being weighed down and the name is just right.

Thanks, Donna!