Sunrise on the St.Lawerence River

OlyFanOlyFan Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited February 10, 2011 in Landscapes
I caught this lovely sunset on my way to work. Am hoping for some feedback on the photo. Thank you.
Sunrise on the St Lawerence.jpg

Comments

• SlipadaroSlipadaro Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    Sunrise
    Nice colors in the photo, too bad the shadow foreground isn't opened up a bit to show more detail.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    Gorgeous colors and I kind of agree about the foreground being a little dark but it looks like it was a gorgeous sunset. thumb.gif
  • OlyFanOlyFan Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    Thank you.:-) I am still learning about settings. I have been shooting mostly in aperture priority, hopefully I'll figure things out as I go along.
  • CCROYCCROY Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2011
    Sunsets are indeed difficult capture. The picture has come out well as it is nicely composed
    CCROY
    OlyFan wrote: »
    Thank you.:-) I am still learning about settings. I have been shooting mostly in aperture priority, hopefully I'll figure things out as I go along.

The only way you're going to preserve the details in the shadows and still have a pleasing sun rise, is to use a GND or bracket your shots and use Layer Masks (Blending). thumb.gif
  • OlyFanOlyFan Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    I have always loved taking photo's but boy oh boy do I have a lot to learn. :-) Thanks Mike for that info, I wish I was better with software. I may actually take a course on photoshop at our local college. this is all so fun to learn and folks on this site are so knowledgeable , but not arrogant. I was scared to death to post photo's for fear of people being mean like on other sites I've seen.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    OlyFan wrote: »
    I have always loved taking photo's but boy oh boy do I have a lot to learn. :-) Thanks Mike for that info, I wish I was better with software. I may actually take a course on photoshop at our local college. this is all so fun to learn and folks on this site are so knowledgeable , but not arrogant. I was scared to death to post photo's for fear of people being mean like on other sites I've seen.

Yikes! I do understand what you mean about some sites being really harsh to folks but I really, really hope that Dgrin is never like that. Anyone and everyone is welcome here... we were all beginners at some point, and all of us can stand to learn some new tricks. :D
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    I like the way the tree branches are lit by the setting sun. Winter in Quebec - brrrrrr.

Sadly, Schmoo, there are some really nasty sites. i joined one a couple of years ago for a brief period of time and found that, instead of being given helpful critiques, I felt bullied by the nasty, snarky remarks people made. And, when that was pointed out (by the moderator), they were totally unapologetic. Must be nice to be perfect, eh? Should point out that I wasn't the only recipient of nasty remarks. If you weren't part of the "in crowd" you were subject to having your photos brutally ripped.

Welcome OlyFan! People here are genuinely helpful.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada