Options

Some Candids [All shot handheld at 300 mm]

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited September 29, 2005 in People
Hello friends!
Snapped a few candids today, using my new lens (Sigma 70-300 mm f/4.0-f/5.6 DG Macro). I really begin to like this lens! When asking/reading about it, I got the impression that it was more or less impossible to take sharp images without tripod at 300 mm with it, so with that in mind, I'm very happy with the result. Here is a few samples, all shot handheld without any support. I've done some cropping, level and contrast tweak and some USM.

Regards / Matty

300 mm, 1/100s, F10, ISO 400

36954514-O.jpg

300 mm, 1/125s, F10, ISO 400

36954517-O.jpg

300 mm, 1/160s, F8, ISO 800
[She was interesting! I think she "caught me" (like most of'em do) because suddenly she begun to strike poses! *Haha*]

36954490-O.jpg

300 mm, 1/3200s, F5.6, ISO 800

36954501-O.jpg

300 mm, 1/1000s, F8, ISO 800

36954496-O.jpg

Comments

• Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2005
    Not Bad. Not bad at all.

Just when I was beginning to think that portraiture almost *had* to be b&w.
    Very striking.
    elfving73 wrote:
    Hello friends!
    Snapped a few candids today, using my new lens (Sigma 70-300 mm f/4.0-f/5.6 DG Macro). I really begin to like this lens! When asking/reading about it, I got the impression that it was more or less impossible to take sharp images without tripod at 300 mm with it, so with that in mind, I'm very happy with the result. Here is a few samples, all shot handheld without any support. I've done some cropping, level and contrast tweak and some USM.

Regards / Matty
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
    Very nice street shots. I really like them all.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
    ...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!
  • Options
    Thank you, Adrian! :o)
    Both color and B/W has it's benefits! :): :):

Matty
    adrian_k wrote:
    Not Bad. Not bad at all.

Just when I was beginning to think that portraiture almost *had* to be b&w.
    Very striking.
  • Options
    Thanx Dixie! thumb.gifthumb.gif

Dixie wrote:
    Very nice street shots. I really like them all.
  • Options
    JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    Hey Matty,

What impresses me the most here is that you weren't even taking advantage of the widest aperture possible and you were still able to handhold. I mean, one of these is at f10, telling me that you coudl have had it handheld with even considerably less light. Very intriguing.

The first two really demonstrate the sharpness especially well. Love the smoke coming off the cigarette.

Thanks,

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    Nice shots Matty. I always enjoy your candids. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    These were taken handheld at 300mm at 1/100 and look great. But I'm confused. How's this possible considering the photography rule that states the shutter speed should be no slower than 1/x sec where x=focal length? According to this rule, the shutter speed on these should have been a minumum of 1/300 sec to minimize blur.

Have I misunderstood this rule? These are outstanding pictures, so I'm really confused. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    How do you manage to not get introuble for taking photos of people? I actually had a cop tell me I couldn't do that. :(
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Awesome!
    You get me some hope! Now that i know it's possible I have a need to try smth like that with my Tamron 70-300 LD..:-)
    Thanks!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    PeterGar wrote:
    These were taken handheld at 300mm at 1/100 and look great. But I'm confused. How's this possible considering the photography rule that states the shutter speed should be no slower than 1/x sec where x=focal length? According to this rule, the shutter speed on these should have been a minumum of 1/300 sec to minimize blur.

Have I misunderstood this rule? These are outstanding pictures, so I'm really confused. headscratch.gif
    Peter, It's really not a "rule". It's a guideline. Some people can handhold a camera at very low shutter speeds. Some people drink too much coffee. There are techniiques that can be used to minimize camera shake as well, i.e., bracing yourself agains a polse, stance, pulling the camera firmly against your head, etc...

I'm more surprised by the shallow dof of these at rather smallish apertures.

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    I like candids. I love these. The smoking man's background looks like a painting. The only thing I don't like is that it makes me want to spend money I don't have, on a longer fast lens. rolleyes1.gif
    I'm more surprised by the shallow dof of these at rather smallish apertures.

Would that be because of the long 300mm focal length, since the opposite is true, that if you have a short lens, it's nearly impossible to get shallow dof?
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2005
    Priviet, Mattias!
    I find them very good (composition, colors, mood), but only acceptable in sharpness...
    I think you see it yourself...
    Are there any lens that can give you the quality of your sons portraits at 300?
    And how much do they cost?
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
    P.S.
    Does anyone here can post examples with such lens ?
  • Options
    NappaloniaNappalonia Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    Nice work!

I bought that lens a couple weeks ago, so its really nice to see those the pics.thumb.gif

You make me want to leave work and see if I can get some shots like that :uhoh
    http://nappalonia.smugmug.com/gallery/580776

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    20D :clap
    Canon
    18-55
    85 1.8 :wink
    Tamron
    28-75 2.8
    Sigma
    70-300 DG APO Macro
    30 1.4:thumb
  • Options
    aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2005
    Hi Matty...

These are excellent candids with a wonderful variety of characters. Great clarity , color and sharpness.

I especially like the image of the man with his smoke and the cigarette ashes .

All the best

michal
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2005
    Nice set of candids Matty. I always look forward to your posts and enjoy them immensely.

Thanks for sharing these,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    How do you manage to not get introuble for taking photos of people? I actually had a cop tell me I couldn't do that. :(

Download and print this flyer.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    G KG K Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    Dontcha know
    rules are meant to be broken :D. jokes apart, as with all rules it is a generalization and is designed to produce consistent results. if your hands are steady enough and/or you can brace yourself, there is no reason why you cant produce a good on-off shot with a little practice and tries at slower shutter speeds.

~ gaurav
    PeterGar wrote:

• Options
    G KG K Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    this is not a very fast lens - working between f/4 and 5.6 but i think it is really good value for its price. i picked up mine for $115 shipped used at FM and really like it.

~gaurav
    colourbox wrote:
    I like candids. I love these. The smoking man's background looks like a painting. The only thing I don't like is that it makes me want to spend money I don't have, on a longer fast lens. rolleyes1.gif

Would that be because of the long 300mm focal length, since the opposite is true, that if you have a short lens, it's nearly impossible to get shallow dof?