Tips please

mattr888mattr888 Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited February 9, 2011 in People
Im going be doing some portraits in the next couple of weeks. I have done some before with one of my mates but that was quite some time ago (which is the one with this post C&C welcome). Any tips on how to improve and get some good one of them?
Twitter
Facebook
happy snapping

Comments

• briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    Fine expression from this handsome young man. I would suggest that on your upcoming shoot you make sure your subjects eyes are the main thing in focus. A bit soft here, at least on my monitor. Also, watch out for clothing that is distracting. The shirt is fine here but not the t- shirt. Regarding background, even though the depth of field is good on this one, the background is too busy for my taste. Less contrast and simpler background would prevent drawing attention away from his face. I'm writing this in a hurry. Hope it makes sense. Looking forward to seeing your new results.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    I echo what Brian said, the eyes are soft here and the background can easily be handled by shooting at a lower f/stop. In addition the lighting on his face is a bit flat and can be easily dealt with by choosing a better location, Keep that in mind when posing people...watch where the sun is and use fill flash if needed.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • mattr888mattr888 Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    Thanks and it dose bake sense Vrian and i agree about the softness. What colours would you recommend people to wear when your doing portraits?
    Twitter
    Facebook
    happy snapping
  • dawssvtdawssvt Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2011
    Make sure to keep the camera still!

Website
    My Smugmug

My Canon Gear:
    5DMII | 24-105mm f/4L | 45mm TS/E | 135mm f/2.0L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 50mm f/1.4
    | 580EX II & 430EX