PSD Icons are White???

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited February 26, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
Since my question died over at Smug Mug Support, I am re-asking:

Does anyone have any idea why my Photoshop Document icons are now white instead of blue with the PS?

I am now at my alternate location and see that no, I am not losing my mind those icons are supposed to be blue.

I had a problem with my other computer (Win7) recently, and ended up with Windows System Mechanic (against my better judgment, but you know, they get you while you're dealing with a problem and you're vulnerable - but I digress).

Long story short - System Mechanic screwed up my machine - web pages were misbehavng, and right around the same time, I suddenly found that my psd files had all turned white.

I have since uninstalled that program, everything is running smoothly, but my psd files are still white.

Any thoughts or advice on this?

Much appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Comments

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    I gave up on Windows several years ago. mwink.gif

However, a Google search shows this to be a common problem.

Maybe this might help?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/117229-icon-cache-rebuild.html
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2011
    RogersDA wrote: »
    I gave up on Windows several years ago. mwink.gif

However, a Google search shows this to be a common problem.

Maybe this might help?

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/117229-icon-cache-rebuild.html

Thank you. However, my problem is on Windows 7.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    Thank you. However, my problem is on Windows 7.

The most frequent cause of this that I've seen is that the file extension is no longer associated with the program. If you double click on a psd file, does it still open in PS? If not, it should pop up a dialog box saying something to the effect of "Windows doesn't know what program to open this file in. Please choose one."

If you get that dialog box, you can just associate the file with PS, the icons should go back to being blue.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited February 7, 2011
    CWSkopec wrote: »
    The most frequent cause of this that I've seen is that the file extension is no longer associated with the program. If you double click on a psd file, does it still open in PS? If not, it should pop up a dialog box saying something to the effect of "Windows doesn't know what program to open this file in. Please choose one."

If you get that dialog box, you can just associate the file with PS, the icons should go back to being blue.
    15524779-Ti.gif The file association is borked, but that's easy to fix. Follow Chris's instructions and if you see something in the dialog box that says "Always use this program" or something like that, check it. I think you can also get to the dialog by right-clicking on the icon then using Open With-->Choose Program.
    edited February 7, 2011
    CWSkopec wrote: »

I've had this happen a couple of times, so I know what you're talking about, but it's not the case this time. They are all opening as PSDs, but the icons are all white.
    edited February 7, 2011
    And btw, this is the case for every single PSD file in my entire Picture folder, not only a few random recent ones.
    edited February 7, 2011
    Hmm...curious. I suppose if the files are opening correctly, you could just get used to it. I don't use Win7 yet, but in XP you can set the icon separately from the associated program if you want.

Control Panel->Folder Options->File Types. Then scroll down the list till you get to PSD. Highlight it and click Advanced. In the pop-up click Change Icon...then see if you can find the standard PSD one in the list. If it's not there, then something must have happened to the icon file itself. I'm guessing that re-installing Photoshop would recreate it.
    edited February 7, 2011
    Richard wrote: »
    Hmm...curious. I suppose if the files are opening correctly, you could just get used to it. I don't use Win7 yet, but in XP you can set the icon separately from the associated program if you want.

Control Panel->Folder Options->File Types. Then scroll down the list till you get to PSD. Highlight it and click Advanced. In the pop-up click Change Icon...then see if you can find the standard PSD one in the list. If it's not there, then something must have happened to the icon file itself. I'm guessing that re-installing Photoshop would recreate it.

Thanks, Richard.

I'm connecting this issue with the recent System Mechanic issue. I think that damn thing messed with stuff - which concerns me somewhat. If this is something I can see, what did it mess with that I can't see?

I am away from that machine for a couple of days, but when I get back I will try the above. Or, maybe will reinstall. I could get used to it, but I'm a little O-C that way, I like things working the way they're supposed to.:D
    edited February 7, 2011
    I hate all programs that mess with file associations without making it clear what they are doing or asking your permission. Sadly, it's a common practice, even among big vendors. In the meantime, messing with the icon is not really a cause for concern if everything else seems to be OK.
    edited February 7, 2011
    I hate all programs that mess with file associations without making it clear what they are doing or asking your permission. Sadly, it's a common practice, even among big vendors. In the meantime, messing with the icon is not really a cause for concern if everything else seems to be OK.

Well, everything's working now (at least the most obvious issue with my web pages is cleared up), but it wasn't. I don't usually fall for those sales pitches, don't know why I did this time.

Thanks!
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    Sarah, two things come to mind. One, do you have System Restore turned on, if so, take advantage of that. If like me you choose not to do so.
    then

1.Go to your Windows icon in the lower left task bar or hit your Windows key,
    2. right clickon Computer
    3. Click on Advanced System settings in the Left side upper menu
    That should bring up the System properties dialogue upon which are 5 tabs.
    4. Choose the Advanced tab if it is not already there.
    6. Performance: click on the Settings button
    7. Set it as before or take a new avenue.

even if you choose best performance make certain "use visual styles on windows and buttons" is TURNED ON.
    tom wise
    edited February 7, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Sarah, two things come to mind. One, do you have System Restore turned on, if so, take advantage of that. If like me you choose not to do so.
    then

1.Go to your Windows icon in the lower left task bar or hit your Windows key,
    2. right clickon Computer
    3. Click on Advanced System settings in the Left side upper menu
    That should bring up the System properties dialogue upon which are 5 tabs.
    4. Choose the Advanced tab if it is not already there.
    6. Performance: click on the Settings button
    7. Set it as before or take a new avenue.

even if you choose best performance make certain "use visual styles on windows and buttons" is TURNED ON.

Thanks, Tom - I will check this out upon my return to Brookline.
    edited February 7, 2011
    Thanks, Tom - I will check this out upon my return to Brookline.

Cool Sarah! Please do. I am trying to learn my way around Win7 better and working thru issues like this will help me.

Please, if you run into issues further or again whether this helps or not, post about it or PM me.

As far as helpful freeware goes, I happen to think CC Cleaner is a top program for helpful de-crap-a-fying. You can clean -er up, turn Start-up programs or apps on/off and uninstall programs all from one console.

go Here ONLY if you want to download it, do not click on any button, download will start automagically.
    tom wise
    edited February 11, 2011

Richard, I'm back in Brookline and am trying to follow your instructions. I go to Control Panel>Folder Options - but that's where it ends for me. I see no option for File Types.
    edited February 11, 2011
    Hmm...I took a look at one of my daughter's Win7 machines running Home Premium 64. Looks like they have moved those options elsewhere (...just when you know your way around, they change things :bash).

OK, try this--the titles are approximate since I'm looking at a Spanish version of Windows:
    First, make sure you're signed on as an admin. Then select the detailed view in the Control Panel and select Default Programs (or something like that). Then select File Type Associations. Find PSD in the list and click Change Program, then look for Photoshop. What I don't see here is the option to change the icon independently from the program. Perhaps you need a more expensive version of the OS to have that delightful right. Grrr.....:bash.

Maybe someone who has more experience with Win7 can help, ne_nau.gif.
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    I'm using Win7 64-bit. One way file associations can be set is by doing the following: Open Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Associate Your File Type or Protocol With a Specific Program ... then select a file type in the list, click Change Program, then choose the program...

Hope this helps.

However, if the nondescript white icons are correctly associated and they are already correcctly opening PS, then more than likely it is the icon file-type "picture" itself that has been changed ... however, I do not know how to change that in 7 without downloading one of several icon changing programs. Perhaps someone else knows a native Win 7 method ... I am sure there is one.

Edit: By the way, I personally do NOT like the nondescript blue PS icons, and never have. I far prefer to see the actual pictures ... so for the past few years I have used the codec supplied by http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/ to see what I have anywhere in Windows without having to use any specific organizing/viewing software (Lightroom, etc.).

The only "problem" (?) is it also shows the raw file image, so, as I normally shoot both jpg and raw at highest qualities, both sit side by side in Win Explorer and I have to look at the file name to tell which is raw and which is jpg. And that really is not a problem at all!
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
    edited February 12, 2011
    I'm using Win7 64-bit. One way file associations can be set is by doing the following: Open Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Associate Your File Type or Protocol With a Specific Program ... then select a file type in the list, click Change Program, then choose the program...

Hope this helps.

However, if the nondescript white icons are correctly associated and they are already correcctly opening PS, then more than likely it is the icon file-type "picture" itself that has been changed ... however, I do not know how to change that in 7 without downloading one of several icon changing programs. Perhaps someone else knows a native Win 7 method ... I am sure there is one.

Edit: By the way, I personally do NOT like the nondescript blue PS icons, and never have. I far prefer to see the actual pictures ... so for the past few years I have used the codec supplied by http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/ to see what I have anywhere in Windows without having to use any specific organizing/viewing software (Lightroom, etc.).

The only "problem" (?) is it also shows the raw file image, so, as I normally shoot both jpg and raw at highest qualities, both sit side by side in Win Explorer and I have to look at the file name to tell which is raw and which is jpg. And that really is not a problem at all!

Yes, the white icon works fine. I might even get used to it.:D
    I was concerned that something internally had been messed up, am less concerned now.
    I would lean more towards going in and changing the icon picture at this point, and maybe, as you say, someone could turn up who knows how to do this.

I think I'd like to see the actual picture - that would be cool - and since I don't shoot jpgs with my RAW, I wouldn't have that side-by-side thing happening.

Yeah, I'd like that - how do I do that, I wonder?
    edited February 12, 2011
    Yeah, I'd like that - how do I do that, I wonder?
    In the folder toolbar, change the view from icon to thumbnail. I had to install a codec to get this to work in XP but maybe it works right out of the box in 7, dunno.
    edited February 12, 2011
    Hi Sara.

I take it my fix above didn't work. You may want to try this one: Here

I have no idea how well it works, but it may be worth trying.
    tom wise
    edited February 12, 2011
    In the folder toolbar, change the view from icon to thumbnail. I had to install a codec to get this to work in XP but maybe it works right out of the box in 7, dunno.

No. I tried that earlier here too!
    tom wise
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2011
    The FastPictureviewer codec I linked to above (costs about US$15) works the best. For whatever reason, PS turned picture-view-icons off a couple versions ago and Win7 did not solve the problem. FastPictureViewer works wonderfully.thumb.gif
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2011
    I'm gonna bet....check your Preferences in Photoshop and see if you have Maximize Compatibility set to "No". Preferences has a mind of it's own..sometimes it like to makes changes by itself. Happened to me a couple months ago and my PSD icons were white. Changing it back to "Always" fixed the problem, but any thumbs created while it was set to No will remain white unless you rebuild the cache for any folders with the white icons.
    edited February 21, 2011
    angevin1 wrote: »
    Hi Sara.

I take it my fix above didn't work. You may want to try this one: Here

I have no idea how well it works, but it may be worth trying.

Tom - I haven't had a chance to fiddle with this situation - I like to give myself a day off from tech problems once in a while - rolleyes1.gif

(just one day, Lord, that's all I ask; one day with nothing going wrong)
    edited February 26, 2011
    Okay, for some reason not understood by me (many things fall into this category) - the PSD icons have reverted to the original - white with a blue PS in the middle.